1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Winter jackets

Discussion in 'Components, Accessories and Clothing' started by Crackle, 24 Jan 2018.

1. Crackle

Crackle Pah

My last piece of Aldi kit is my winter jacket, which I've never replaced because it's good but the zip has started to go, so it looks like I'll reluctantly have to replace it.

I think I'm looking for something like it with a windproof front and a breathable back. I don't want to spend a fortune on one as I really only use it when it gets below 10c. It doesn't need to be waterproof and I'm not keen on softshells which I find to be the worst of all worlds.

Any recommendations?

2. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

Endura windchill 2
    https://www.cyclesurgery.com/p/endu...VhbftCh3Faw9eEAQYAiABEgKlRvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Wiggle/CRC have in other colours depending on your size needs

3. Liz Su

Liz Su Über Member

The Paramo Velez light smock get one off Ebay either a seconds or a pre owned one. They are really expensive new like £200.
    These are the best I've had for everything walking and cycling related.

4. roadrash

roadrash cycle chatterer

why not just replace the zip, most dry cleaning type places offer this service

ADarkDraconis likes this.
  5. DCLane

DCLane Found in the Yorkshire hills ...

Galibier kit is excellent together with being good value and lifetime free repair, which I've used: www.galibier.cc

I used their Tourmalet jacket in LEL as the only rain/night protection over a jersey and it was great even at 4am in 2 degrees up a Scottish hill in the rain.

6. Jody

Jody Über legend of a forum GOD!

7. OP
    OP
    Crackle

Crackle Pah

Yes, I've thought of that but everyone has about two weeks of waiting at the moment, so I'd need something else in the meantime.

roadrash likes this.
  8. biggs682

biggs682 Smile a mile bike provider

9. I have a goretex Gore bikewear (or some such name) folds-up-into-its-own-pocket job.

It takes the chill off the wind, easy to remove and shove into a (big) jersey pocket or my rack bag. It also leaves all of the other keep-warm decisions to me. I can choose lots of layers or few.

And it's waterproof, although that wasn't on your list. And it doesn't have a breathable back, which is.

So this has turned out to be one of those annoying posts that ignores your specific requirements and bangs on about what I do, because what I do is best.

Crackle likes this.
  10. Soltydog

Soltydog Guru

11. OP
    OP
    Crackle

Crackle Pah

I welcome all suggestions though ^_^

I must say I'm not keen on the colours red, black and anything neon which currently exclude a lot of clothing.

12. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

Crackle likes this.
  13. Marmion

Marmion Guru

The forecast is for above 10 degrees for the next fortnight

SpokeyDokey likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    Crackle

Crackle Pah

Marmion fibs.....