winter jackets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lard Armstrong

Veteran
There's not right answer, it's more of a question of going fully waterproof and being sweaty and manky most of the time or being warm/temperate and occasionally soggy.

Generally we experience showers rather than consistent torrential rain in most parts of the UK, (if it is REALLY honking it down when I am due to leave, I won't go out on the Sunday clubrun, commuting is a different matter).

In Winter, personally I prefer to be warm first, rather than dry. I have Winter jerseys and gilets (not waterproof) which are completed with a Montane Featherlight Velo shell (showerproof, not waterproof). I rarely get soaked, but if I do, I generally dry out quickly, as my Winter kit keeps me warm whilst the exercise dries my clothing out.

Works for me. Make sense ?

LA.

OP
OP
chewy

chewy

Had a spare 10 minutes and happened to pop into a bike shop (not my usual, but near!) just to see what they had in the jacket line. As expected, not much. And what they did have was way over my budget!

However, they had one Madison Persuit jacket left, marked down from £50 to £25. So I had it!

Seems to be the ideal comprise for me. A little more that a shower proof pac a mac, but can still be rolled up into a jersey pocket. Breathable with plenty of zipped vents, for the money it's got to be worth a try. If only for the experience so I can better decide my next jacket if need be! :-D

Lee-p

I bought an Endura Rebound jacket to use in the winter with baselayers.......had it on today for the first time with a Berghaus baselayer t shirt and im well impressed the weather was windy and raining,i never got soaked and was quite warm.
Best bit of kit i've bought so far.

diapason

I've got a Montane Fetherlite which rolls up very small and is waterproof. It feels very fragile, but has been ok to date. i also bought a Ground Effect 'Stormtrooper' secondhand on another forum. It hasn't rained since I bought it, but it fits well and is highly visible (bright orange).

Top Bottom