winter jackets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chewy

With winter on its way I am thinking of investing in a jacket for my weekends out on the bike (but will also use for my short daily commute I reckon too).

Am I best to aim for an all rounder like the Altura night vision jacket (which I doubt folds up small enough to go in my back pocket should the sun come out!
blush.gif
) or am I better off with something more designed for being lighter and windproof like the Altura Summit?

As usual, all thoughts, feelings and recommendations welcomed
wacko.gif
biggrin.gif

teletext45

I've got a castelli which is small enough to pack into my saddle bag, but this is just a show jacket. If you want a winter jacket it's going to be something you'll be setting off out in.

I picked up a dirt cheap karimor jacket from sports direct was about 12 quid and does the job perfectly, I'll admit I'm going to invest in a better one at some stage..

andy

OP
OP
chewy

chewy

Thanks all, just need to work out weather Im better to spend out on a 'proper' jacket to wear from the off or something I can fold up half way round if need be!

amaferanga

Veteran
I don't think there's one jacket that will do it all. On normal winter days you probably would only want a long sleeve jersey with maybe a gilet or light windproof in your pocket in case the weather turns, while some days you might want a nice warm windproof jacket like the Night Vision Windproof, while on other days you might want a full on waterproof.

One thing is for sure though - if you wear a waterproof jacket, regardless of how breathable it claims to be, you will get wet from sweat unless you cycle at a very leisurely pace. So wearing a waterproof like the Night Vision Waterproof all the time is a bad idea. Still see plenty of folks that do that though - the sort of folk that think that if they're not wearing their magic yellow jacket AT ALL TIMES they will be knocked off their bike and killed.

OP
OP
chewy

chewy

I don't think there's one jacket that will do it all. On normal winter days you probably would only want a long sleeve jersey with maybe a gilet or light windproof in your pocket in case the weather turns, while some days you might want a nice warm windproof jacket like the Night Vision Windproof, while on other days you might want a full on waterproof.

One thing is for sure though - if you wear a waterproof jacket, regardless of how breathable it claims to be, you will get wet from sweat unless you cycle at a very leisurely pace. So wearing a waterproof like the Night Vision Waterproof all the time is a bad idea. Still see plenty of folks that do that though - the sort of folk that think that if they're not wearing their magic yellow jacket AT ALL TIMES they will be knocked off their bike and killed.

mmmmmmm.... you speak the truth, my mind leaning towards a Pearl Izumi barrier jacket. more packable and the sleeves zip off to turn it into a gilet. But not really breathable (but then I can just put it in my pocket when too warm).

And I doubt I shall be out if its really coming down anyway
smile.gif
smile.gif
rain.gif

And I can get it in yellow, so I will never have another accident. Ever.

Attachments

• smile.gif
    smile.gif
    262 bytes · Views: 35
if your not intending to use it in tipping down weather how about a soft-shell?

I've got an Endura one and its been by far the best bit of cycling kit I've bought. Good fit (Altura just doesn't do it for me, all the ones I've tried the arms have been 3-4" above wrists on the bike). Water resistant enough for 'getting caught out' in or light showers and I've cycled in sub-zero temps in it with base and intermediate layer. It seems a lot less 'boil in the bag' than my other endura jacket, a luminite.

OP
OP
chewy

chewy

mmmm think your right!
whistling.gif

Anyone got one of THESE OR THESE ?

Tynan

Veteran
the regular NV is a quality top if it's cold and horrid and you're on a long ride but too warm any other time unless very cold, and it's too bulky to carry around on the off chance

I wqaer it a dozen times a year in the worst of the winter and on long slow rides in cold weather

it's lovely though when it's cold and wet and you're not on a short ride

Izakbar

Am I best to aim for an all rounder like the Altura night vision jacket (which I doubt folds up small enough to go in my back pocket should the sun come out!
blush.gif
)

I just got one of these... it's very windproof :smile: Dunno about rain/snow/floods yet. It arrived just in time for the sunshine. Very toastie. I have had to carry it in my rucksack on way home though, seems quite light. Overall quite pleased with it. Was 35 quid, and goes to 3xl..

Prior to this I was using a very light/thin thing I got from the US, which was not that warm, and not super waterproof (more showerproof). Think the Altura is a significant step up tbh.

Top Bottom