Cycling jackets and hoods; or lack thereof

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I still very much require a waterproof for cycling and notice a lot don't have hoods.

I can appreciate how a hood could impair peripheral vision / situational awareness; and the last time I was forced to ride in a normal waterproof I left the hood down for this reason.

However, this begs the question of how I keep my head dry if it's lashing it down..? I guess the answer's a waterproof hat (I don't do helmets) but there doesn't appear to be much about targeted specifially at cyclists.

Keen to learn about what's out there; or experiences with non-invasive hoods - cheers :smile:

Last edited:

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
A buff. I wear one under my helmet. Not a waterproof material obviously but better than nothing.

I hate hoods on clothing. It's very irritating that even bath robes seem to have hoods these days.

yello

A cap. There are cycle specific ones, and they don't have to be waterproof, that serve a sufficient enough purpose, ime anyway. I do have a waterproof one but my head gets too darned warm in it.

I just got used to getting wet. It is rain after all. Doing a newspaper round as a kid kinda helped but I appreciate you can't wind the clock back! So long as I'm not getting cold as well then I'm not bothered.

You're 100% spot on about hoods imo. Not a good idea for cycling in.

Jameshow

Veteran
I find hold must have a garage otherwise they billow around. I paid good money for an inov8 running jacket with hood which has no where to stow. Even cheap mack in a bags have hood garages!!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
???
what’s a hood garage??

Presumably a pocket in which you can stow the hood. I have a jacket where you can roll the hood up and shove it in the collar. I guess that is a hood garage.

Mind you, there is a garage in my 'hood. So maybe it's something to do with that. Next time I visit I will make sure I have my hood in its garage.

Absolutely.
Non cycling waterproofs must have no reflective piping.
Cycling waterproofs must have no hood and must have rear pockets.

I blame the magazine reviewers who never question The Rules.

After searching high and low I found a Vaude model in red with reflective bits, and stowaway hood . It is quite bulky for a carry waterproof, one to wear.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Cheers all :smile:

I guess I need to manage my expectations re. getting wet; I do have quite a lot of hair so imagine this getting soaked in the winter would be less than fun.

I have a polycotton cap that would probably do a good job of keeping the worst off when its warm, and do also have a "waterproof" sealskinz beanie; however this is zero fun as the outside rides up over the inner waterproof bit and makes me look like I should be in an East 17 video as it slowly crawls off my head :sad:

I can appreciate the arguments about hoods generally and find they have to be good to be welcome. I do like the hood on my walking waterproof as it has a lot of drawstrings to keep it where you want it and when properly adjusted it feels like a nice, snug place to be in the rain.

It's a 'mare when not adjusted correctly however and I can totally appreciate how a big baggy hood can be a swine..

yello

I have a Montane jacket, perfect weight for me (i.e. breathable/waterproof balance), but it's sadly not made anymore. One up from the notionally waterproof, and much loved, Featherlite Vélo. Point is, it had ("had" being salient here) a hood and a 'garage'- a hood pocket that you rolled the hood into and it became like a neck cuff. It was a pain in the neck (ho ho). No, seriously, just damned wrong. I cut both hood and garage off. Perfect. It saw active service on LEL 2009 and did itself proud. A bit too bulky for back pocket stowage but an excellent cycle touring jacket. I think it has a reflective dot on the back. I feel most secure.

yello

Hoods on walking jackets can and do work. The one on mine has a number of drawstrings and elasticy bits etc and can be sort of shaped to fit less cumbersomely. I get why people would like such a thing. I dunno though, I guess I just don't really get on with hoods and much prefer a hat/cap. I feel too enclosed in a hood, I feel my hearing is less - if I can overstate for the sake of the argument, it's like being in a car as opposed to on a bike.

I find hood must have a garage otherwise they billow around. I paid good money for an inov8 running jacket with hood which has no where to stow. Even cheap mack in a bags have hood garages!!
Can I just say that I think "hood garage" is a terrible, ugly piece of language ... but we don't have anything better, so I approve it totally.

And yes, they are (almost) essential for cycling.

For actual riding along - not standing/pun*ture-fixing etc - I can recommend Goretex caps. I have a cheap one (Blacks? Munting Warehoes??) and it's brilliant in "proper" rain - which we seem to get more-and-more frequently as the years tick by, sadly ...
Light enough to not begrudge carrying it around while the sun shines!

Top Bottom