First time cycling shoes and first time cleats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
P

Porknz

So this might even require and adjustment to my seat? Silly me thinking I'd just screw cleats in a pair of shoes and go for a ride. Maybe I'll just take the bike and shoes and cleats to the local bike shop and have them help me out.

vickster

Legendary Member
So this might even require and adjustment to my seat? Silly me thinking I'd just screw cleats in a pair of shoes and go for a ride. Maybe I'll just take the bike and shoes and cleats to the local bike shop and have them help me out.

A wise move if not confident. May also need to adjust the cleats to account for any foot pronation. Getting it wrong could cause knee and other pains.
If your pedals only have the cleat clip on one side, practice flipping the pedal while riding and don’t be tempted to look down at your feet or it could end in tears. DAMHIKT :B)

Mike_P

Guru
Practice clipping in and out holding something and do not do as I did let go. At least that was the only wholly toppled over clipless moment I have had.

As to seat position what you need to look for is clipping in quite naturally without having to adjust your feet on the pedals. As you have two different fitting points on the shoes it may be that you need to try the other if you are not.

The cleats you have are quick release. Presumably they release by moving your foot away in any direction. Many do not like those as they find they unclip all too readily and prefer standard cleats with a more limited release action. I use one of each, the quick release on the foot I stop with.

Top Bottom