First time cycling shoes and first time cleats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Porknz

Wondering if anyone can help me out with basic instructions. I have my first cycling shoes and my first cleats. I figured you just screwed them in and were done with it. Opened them up and there are long screws, and shorts screws, and shims, and my shoes have two different places to screw the cleats in it looks like. Thanks for any info for a first timer. :smile:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Have you got any pics?

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
The more knowledgeable will be along soon . But what pedal system are you using and photos
edit Spiderweb got there first

vickster

Legendary Member
2 or 3 bolt shoes/cleats? Brand of shoes? Any instructions in the box?
There’s a Shimano 2 bolt SPD guide here for example. Lots of YouTube videos otherwise
https://ride.shimano.com/blogs/technologies/how-to-install-spd-2-hole-cleats
Don’t forget to grease the pedal spindles well when you attach to bike. And make sure cleat bolts are tightly attached and keep checking them regularly. It can be very painful if they work loose or a bolt comes out! DAMHIKT :rolleyes:

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Porknz

Have you got any pics?

1686862563550.png

ExBrit

Über Member
You do have pedals to go with these, right?

He has to buy pedals too???????

OP
OP
P

Porknz

I've been using double shot 2's since I started riding about two years ago. Ready to use the non-flat side finally. :smile:

OP
OP
P

Porknz

So, pick a spot and go for a ride. See if it's comfortable. If not, adjust the position before the next ride?

Twilkes

Guru
So, pick a spot and go for a ride. See if it's comfortable. If not, adjust the position before the next ride?

I'd generally start with them as far back as you can go, and then maybe move them forward a bit if you feel the need. Too far back won't hurt anybody who isn't a flat-out sprinter, but even just slightly too far forward might cause problems and mean your ankle is trying to do too much work to remain stable.

Note that if you move the cleats you might have to move your saddle to compensate - cleats go backward on the shoe, saddle goes down, and vice versa, because you're essentially changing the distance between your hips and the pedals.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You've got the easy release cleats.

Look at the videos, and first job, put shoes on, and feel for the ball of your foot. Then, mark the middle of the ball on your shoe sole with a sharpie or similar. You start with the cleat level with this - your personal preference may be slightly further or slightly back. Start with the cleat straight on the shoe lines - you'll have it at an angle once adjusted. I set my cleat angle so the heal of the shoe won't turn/float into the crank - so tighten cleat (just do one shoe) then press into pedal, and see if the clat hits the crank - if it's no-where near adjust so it get's close-ish.

Your feet will then find their natural angle, but the last thing you want is crank strike. PS never assume shoes are the same, so you'll need to repeat the process again with new shoes, unless you get the same make with the same sole - even same make, but a revised sole can be drilled differently.

Top Bottom