Cycling jackets and hoods; or lack thereof

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

Goretex caps

Just googled them. My gosh and golly, they can be really rather expensive (is the non-ugly version of what my reaction was)

andrew_s

Legendary Member
For proper rain, I use a Barbour Sou'wester, Somwhat like this, apart from what it's made of.

If it's light rain, or rain wasn't forecast, it's usually just a cap. Sometimes a waterproof one, but more usually a baseball style cap as the longer peak keeps the rain off my glasses better.

My main waterproof jacket has a roll-away hood, but I rarely use it. In theory I could use it over the cap if I get caught in heavy rain.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I guess I need to manage my expectations re. getting wet; I do have quite a lot of hair so imagine this getting soaked in the winter would be less than fun.

I have a polycotton cap that would probably do a good job of keeping the worst off when its warm, and do also have a "waterproof" sealskinz beanie; however this is zero fun as the outside rides up over the inner waterproof bit
I've got lots of hair too, not a helmet wearer (for contest).
I have one cheap lycra cycling cap, the ones that look like a swimming cap lol and I also have a fleece lined similar from Fat Lad at the Back (even though I'm not a lad :laugh: )
When it's raining heavily I put one of the caps on, then my usual beanie on top.
My hair rarely gets damp this way.
The outer needs to be looser fitting than the inner, so it doesn't rise up ^_^

Dadam

Absolutely.
Non cycling waterproofs must have no reflective piping.
Cycling waterproofs must have no hood and must have rear pockets.

Of course. As a manufacturer why sell one garment for multiple uses when you can sell one for normal walking around and one for cycling. :rolleyes:

I use my cycling waterproof as a regular summer light jacket, especially when at work, such as walking to the shop at lunchtime. I do appreciate the massive rear pocket; can get a full meal deal in it: sandwich, crisps and drink! :biggrin: But I don't like the lack of a hood. A detachable one you could stow in the pocket would be ideal.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Funnily enough I always want a waterproof cap or even a hood when walking in rain, but on a bike I'm more than happy with just a cycling cap - lightweight cotton in summer and heavier fabric with a flap in the winter. The latter especially are difficult to find nowadays, I presume because they don't fit under magic hats.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I have a nice lightweight waterproof that I take with me on the bike and when out and about. It's not a cycling one so no back pocket, and it does have a hood (which I hate, and tuck inside). But if significant rain is forecast I also have a cycling specific jacket which is a bit bulkier and has no hood and does have a back pocket.
Of course. As a manufacturer why sell one garment for multiple uses when you can sell one for normal walking around and one for cycling. :rolleyes:
They got me!

freiston

Veteran
I have a hood on my Carradice Pro Route cape but I never use it. I also have a sou'wester which is a brilliant bit of kit - it addresses the issue of water running down the back of your neck by having a brim big enough at the back to cover the neck. It also channels water away from the face. Unfortunately, it doesn't stop water droplets covering my spectacle lenses and so I usually wear the same big stiff peaked cap that I wear in the sun to keep the sun out of my eyes. It isn't waterproof.

I have once worn my peaked cap under the sou'wester - it worked a treat but really isn't worth the faff unless it's hammering it down when I'm about to leave the house - then it seem not much faff at all ^_^.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Personally I wouldn't want to cycle with a hood, but I do have a showers pass jacket for which an optional hood can be attached.

Showers pass jackets are the dog's doodars but reassuringly expensive to match.

DogmaStu

I would never want a hooded jacket whilst cycling - I don't like them when walking, let alone cycling where I want my peripheral vision unimpeded.

I have this: https://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/mens-brevet-gore-tex-rain-jacket/product/BAA01XXYSC

Dunno how good or not it is, it's still in its packaging on a shelf. Along with a load of other kit from various brands like Castelli, Gobik, Santini etc unopened. I'm addicted to buying cycling kit. :rolleyes:

I bought this last Winter though and it works very well: https://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/pro-team-winter-hat/product/PWH04XXBLK

Top Bottom