Cycling jackets and hoods; or lack thereof

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

Tbh, I do have one of those woolen Belgian style cycling hats, the one that covers your ears.... swrve I think, like this one...

swrve_belgian_wool_merino_cap_1_3_1024x1024.jpg

.... it's bordering on sod all use (to me), a very limited range. Looks silly too but whatever, it gets work maybe 6 or 8 times a year.

Drago

Legendary Member
Good old wehrmacht helmet keeps me dry on the bike and maintains freedom of movement across European borders.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I've been dissatisfied with the usual Altura jackets for several years, but now have a fantastic Montane gore tex jacket which is nearly perfect.

The best thing about it is that it fits and is properly waterproof.
The next best thing is that it was free; my son snagged it somehow creating a tiny hole under the left arm, and, obviously, couldn't wear it again.
It has a hood that is close fitting and adjustable.

The only two bad things is that it is dark green - very low vis, and that it seems a bit extreme to raise a child just to get a free jacket.

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Vaude make good cycle jackets with holds.

GuyBoden

Guru
Surely a hood is a dangerous thing to wear on a bike? I wouldn't want to risk limiting my peripheral vision or shoulder checking the inside of a hood.

I'd suggest this is why cycling specific waterproofs don't have a hood.

Most hooded waterproofs I've used have a draw string around the facial area, that you pull the toggles on the draw string tight, so you can see.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Most hooded waterproofs I've used have a draw string around the facial area, that you pull the toggles on the draw string tight, so you can see.

Yes, I know about these but think one would be hard-pressed to find something which worked reliably in this manner. Your choice. Your risk.

If hoods on cycle rain jackets were a good idea manufacturers would offer them.

Gunk

Guru
Surely a hood is a dangerous thing to wear on a bike? I wouldn't want to risk limiting my peripheral vision or shoulder checking the inside of a hood.

I'd suggest this is why cycling specific waterproofs don't have a hood.

Just don’t put the hood up

Top Bottom