Cycling jackets and hoods; or lack thereof

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

presta

Guru
I've been using a Regatta £10 cheapie ever since I got fed up with the £130 Paramo one about 20 years ago.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Trying to stay bone dry on a bicycle is nigh-on impossible.
For keeping the worst of the rain off my noggin, I wear a cotton four-panel cap with a cotton lining (e.g. alleycaps in Brighton). Proof the outer material with dilute 1: 9 Nikwax wash-in, sponged on as per instructions.
Done right, your bonce stays dry and alert. Meanwhile, rainwater drips down your neck, fogs up your spex, creeps into your sock tops, and up your arms.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Helmet cover, or a Boots disposable shower cap over your helmet. Of course if you are a 'gravel' rider, you can wear a 'gravel' jacket. complete with hood. If you're a roadie hoods are a no-no.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
- you'd never know. (Avoid pink frilly ones)

No, no no ! :wacko:

presta

Guru
Paramo is more comfortable than any other jacket that can keep the rain off
The reason I ditched mine is that it doesn't keep the rain off, the water pours in within 5 minutes of it starting to rain. It's also far too big and heavy.

I bought it because I was really taken by the idea of a coat that sheds water like a thatched roof or animal fur instead of having a membrane or coating to wear out and leak, but the simple fact is that it just doesn't work. It's better if you're not carrying a rucksack, but not much. The problem is that rain runs down your back, and then when it reaches the rucksack the pressure of it against your back forces the water through the fabric because it's not proof against a static head. The same happens at the shoulders, under the straps. And it really leaks, not just soaking through gradually, it pours in so fast I can feel it running down my sides and back then drenching my trousers and underpants.

Despite the fact that it leaked from the day it was new, when the proofing should still have been intact, I tried all sorts of treatments. The Nikwax wash-in stuff was as useless as it is expensive, as were all the other wash-in ones, but a Granger's aerosol spray had some effect. The problem even with the Granger's aerosol was that the rucksack rapidly rubbed it off again, so that by the time it started raining there was none of it left, and it still leaked.

Without a rucksack to rub it off, the Grangers stuff would have been slightly more practical, if a little expensive, but by the time I'd switched from walking to cycling it was unavailable anyway.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Thanks all - appreciate all the info / thoughts and as usual it seems there's no one ideal solution.

I was half-planning on getting a Brompton (Endura) London jacket as they were heavily reduced; however typically I've sat with my thumb up my arse for too long and it seems they've sold out. Did look good but I had my reservations about the lack of hood and to a lesser extent didn't really want to look like an enormous brand whore festooned with Brompton merch...

So, seems I'm back to square one again. I do quite like the idea of a hood as long as it's manageable; which is a big if IME. I've considered cheap packable stuff from the likes of Mountain Warehouse, but have my reservations about breathability and longevity. Because it will mainly be used for commuting it needs to be practical and able to keep me dry when off the bike too..

I'd be happy to use my walking jacket, except that I don't want it to get ruined by daily use / spray from the wheel / rucksack abrasion.. which is another reason I'm reluctant to spend big money on a cycling jacket; however everything mid-range seems to get middling reviews and I don't want to end up boiling in the bag.

I guess the search continues..

Jameshow

Veteran
7scgbv.jpg

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Cheers all :smile:

I guess I need to manage my expectations re. getting wet; I do have quite a lot of hair so imagine this getting soaked in the winter would be less than fun.

I have a polycotton cap that would probably do a good job of keeping the worst off when its warm, and do also have a "waterproof" sealskinz beanie; however this is zero fun as the outside rides up over the inner waterproof bit and makes me look like I should be in an East 17 video as it slowly crawls off my head :sad:

I can appreciate the arguments about hoods generally and find they have to be good to be welcome. I do like the hood on my walking waterproof as it has a lot of drawstrings to keep it where you want it and when properly adjusted it feels like a nice, snug place to be in the rain.

It's a 'mare when not adjusted correctly however and I can totally appreciate how a big baggy hood can be a swine..

I wear a broad brimmed 'sun hat' (north face/mountain equipment type affair) when it rains. It's light, fits well enough not to need the chinstrap unless barrelling downhill, and keeps water off my glasses and stops raingoing down my neck.

This kinda thing with a stiffened peak.

2f3e99c9-ea2c-49e7-acb4-aaa5e26f5b39.jpg

Top Bottom