Winter MTB Boots

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I've got the NW Arctic boots... pretty good. So far only thing that lets me ride with warm(ish) feet*

* but then my feet were cold in midsummer, wearing thermal socks.

AlanW

Guru
Another vote for Northwave boots here to. I was getting through a couple of pairs of overshoes per winter, the boots had near enough paid for themselves before the winter had come to an end, that was at least three years!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Northwave celcius rider here. I like them but if it rains enough I find I get wet feet eventually. I use gaiters round the ankles in an attempt to keep the water out.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My winter boots are drying in the garage. Mainly the neoprene cuffs, as they can stink and my wife won't entertain the smell (stinks like cat pee). That's when Detol anti-bac is good.

I've bought dry suit wrist seals to try out and cover the neoprene in torrential conditions (wrist seals as the ankle ones are quite large for the dry suit legs)

Last edited:

12boy

Guru
I usually use mtn bike shoes 2 sizes to large with a couple pair wool socks, but still lose enough to allow toe room. Over that, neoprene boots with SPD cutouts. I found replacing the insoles with felt helps heat loss, too. I like 2 way SPDs so when it's gets really cold it's Hi-tech hiking boots, also with a felt insole. By wearing cross country ski pants over poly/merino longjohns my legs stay warm and the pants shed snow somehow. A balaclava or two on the bald noggin and I am usually pretty comfortable. My rides usually begin with a 1/2 mile descent that is about 27 mph on dry roads so that wind chill is pretty bad just siiting there without a need to pedal. I favor Ray-bans, but the plastic of the frames gets very cold. Going on level ground and especially uphill against the wind and pushing studded tires through the snow generates a lot of warm. A few miles in -20 F can be kinda fun when you gotta get out in the winter.

iluvmybike

Über Member
My hubby has NW winter boots and says they are great at keeping his feet warm & dry. Little bit awkward to get on but comfy once on.

ozboz

Guru
I’ve ordered a pair of these ,

Attachments

• BBA630C2-F605-4196-98C0-ED6585680745.png
    BBA630C2-F605-4196-98C0-ED6585680745.png
    56.4 KB · Views: 16

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Sidi Frost Gore here. Best boots yet!

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
My first pair of NorthWave Raptor GTX boots lasted 6 weeks before the liner ripped and the ratchet mechanism failed. The replacement pair (courtesy of Evans) failed at the ratchet mechanism after the third use.

I have sent several emails to Northwave about the problems without any reply. I wouldn’t use their products if you paid me, due to the problems encountered and utter lack of support from the manufacturer. jm2c.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I'm at a bit of a crossroads on this. I need waterproof more than warm

I am on my third pair of overshoes in two years, plus my SPD shoes are split everywhere and are actually now shouting at me to replace them.

Do I replace like for like or do I pay a little extra for Boots ?

I was considering MW5's

Jody

Stubborn git
You can't put a price on comfort :whistle: Where else are you going to get merino lined, waterproof, spd compatible wellies :laugh:

Top Bottom