Winter Olympics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am not really into sport so probably not the best to comment but it all just seems a collection of bizarre ways of sliding down a hill in silly combination. Two people in a sledge, four people in a sledge, one on a tin try, one on snow dodging sticks, or jumping in the air longest. Do people really do any of this in the real world or are they just made up sports to finds something to do when it snows?

Ganymede

Veteran
I am not really into sport so probably not the best to comment but it all just seems a collection of bizarre ways of sliding down a hill in silly combination. Two people in a sledge, four people in a sledge, one on a tin try, one on snow dodging sticks, or jumping in the air longest. Do people really do any of this in the real world or are they just made up sports to finds something to do when it snows?

Probably. Ain't life grand?

rualexander

Legendary Member
Shame that Britain's top male downhill skier, Dougie Crawford, didn't get selected for the games again.

Tin Pot

Guru
There's this one (looks a toughie - to me):

658wg2.jpg

Edit. There's 20,000euro to the winner!

Nice find, but I'm not sure they're in my league...the amateur league that is!

Maybe there's no demand, or maybe I'll organise one myself.

Ganymede

Veteran
Shame that Britain's top male downhill skier, Dougie Crawford, didn't get selected for the games again.

There are sooooo many racers in Europe though.

Actually I was in a caff in the Alps the week before last in bad weather and the room filled up with young racer chaps whose races had been stopped by the storm. Goodness they were powerful young chaps. Goodness me.

OH: put yer tongue back in Ganny
Me *blushing*: Soz...

Stephenite

Membå
Nice find, but I'm not sure they're in my league...the amateur league that is!

Maybe there's no demand, or maybe I'll organise one myself.
As far as I've been able to work out a normal winter triathlon is along the lines of: 6k run, 10k bike and 8k ski. Here's a link to one in norway http://www.triathlon.org/events/event/2012_lygna_itu_winter_triathlon_european_cup
I've chose this link 'coz it's in english. The event appears to be held every year. I don't think there is any dates set yet for events held next winter.

You've got me thinking now. I've got my sights set on a sprint tri in august this year. A winter tri in january would be immense fun.

I've never done any winter sports, other than one day at Glenshee where I did more drinking than skiing (although I was better after 8 points than I was sober!), but I like watching the cross country skiing and the one where they do the shooting in between the skiing - although I reckon it could be made better if they did the shooting bit whilst going downhill.

I've never done any winter sports, other than one day at Glenshee where I did more drinking than skiing (although I was better after 8 points than I was sober!), but I like watching the cross country skiing and the one where they do the shooting in between the skiing - although I reckon it could be made better if they did the shooting bit whilst going downhill.
:eek:

Ganymede

Veteran
Here's the blurb (soz I know this is a bit off-topic re Winter Olympics!)

It seemed a simple enough idea at the outset: to assemble a team of eleven men to play cricket on each of the seven continents of the globe.
Except - hold on a minute - that's not a simple idea at all. And when you throw in incompetent airline officials, amorous Argentine Colonels' wives, cunning Bajan drug dealers, gay Australian waiters, overzealous American anti-terrorist police, idiot Welshmen dressed as Santa Claus, Archbishop Desmond Tutu and whole armies of pitch-invading Antarctic penguins, you quickly arrive at a whole lot more than you bargained for.

Harry Thompson's hilarious book tells the story of one of those great idiotic enterprises that only an Englishman could have dreamed up, and only a bunch of Englishmen could possibly have wished to carry out.

Top Bottom