Winter proofing DIY

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carpiste

Guru
I was looking at a waterproof covering for my saddle bag and for the Bosch battery on my E-bike....
After looking around I thought I`d make myself one as the ones I found on the tinterweb weren`t really up to much and were pretty expensive.
I happened to have an old waterproof, nylon bag that was used for one of my sleeping bags. I decided to utilise it as I no longer use that particular sleeping bag. So, out with the scissors, sewing kit and about 45 minutes later I had exactly what I needed ;)^_^

Attachments

• IMG_20210918_172041185.jpg
    IMG_20210918_172041185.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20210918_172028386.jpg
    IMG_20210918_172028386.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
carpiste

carpiste

Guru
ps. The battery cover has velcro straps as well as the draw string to keep it snug ^_^

Over the winter I noticed a drop off in range

but the battery is kept in the house so doesn;t get cold unless I go out
so I assume the cold air cooling the battery affects the range - hence I assume a cover might help

maybe - you probably spotted a few assumes there - the cold could also affect the lubrication on the drive chain and the friction inside the motor so who knows!!!

OP
OP
carpiste

carpiste

Guru
I don`t know for sure if the cover will help but it makes me feel better knowing I`m looking after her ;)
It certainly can`t do any harm and of course as I was making a cover for the saddle bag anyway it seemed rude not to;)

jags

Guru
I was looking at a waterproof covering for my saddle bag and for the Bosch battery on my E-bike....
After looking around I thought I`d make myself one as the ones I found on the tinterweb weren`t really up to much and were pretty expensive.
I happened to have an old waterproof, nylon bag that was used for one of my sleeping bags. I decided to utilise it as I no longer use that particular sleeping bag. So, out with the scissors, sewing kit and about 45 minutes later I had exactly what I needed ;)^_^
looks a good job,would there be a chanch of battery overheating,silly question but got to ask.

OP
OP
carpiste

carpiste

Guru
looks a good job,would there be a chanch of battery overheating,silly question but got to ask.
I doubt it very much. Firstly it`s only a thick nylon fairly tight up against a cold alloy frame. Plus there is a small gap for air to get under unless the draw string is pulled really tight.
I have also utilised an old neoprene overshoe that had been attacked by mice in the shed for extra insulation come really cold weather.
The good thing is, that, even though I`m getting on a bit, I still have a good sense of smell if it does decide to internally combust ;)
Also, and this is important, they sell padded covers on Amazon and ebay and probably other outlets and I`ve not heard of any issues. Difference is mine didn`t cost £10-15 😄

OP
OP
carpiste

carpiste

Guru
Further to the last task with the prospect of further, heavy rain forecasts I realised I don`t have a waterproof cover for the trip display. I`m sure they will be waterproof, to a point, but if so why would they try to sell covers for them? Expensive ones too! Silicon covers are around £10 so again not hugely expensive but I do hate to buy things when I can utilise some old rubbish to do the job....
This is what I came up with:

A plastic water bottle, cut along one side and a length of double sided velcro glued to the neck. It covers the display and allows me to change the assist level easily ^_^

Top Bottom