Winter/rain wear?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

monkeylc

Über Member
Hello,
Just did my usual commute but in a torrential downpour and it was the worst I've ever cycled. Couldn't see properly and felt colder than when it's literally freezing. I'm riding in my normal work wear at the minute (trousers/jacket) so what's the best gear to go for?
I find if I wrap up warm I'm to hot after a couple of mile or I'm suffering from the cold due to lack of clothing?
Also, when the rain gets really bad is there a cut off point when you just won't go out cycling in it?
When I came home tonight I couldn't even see properly at some points.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
A cycling cap under your helmet is a great addition on a rainy ride.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I have an altura night vision jacket and it's wonderfully waterproof. At least it is for about 40 miles, after that it does start to let a bit through. I have Sealskinz gloves and they are wonderfully warm and waterproof. Not wildly expensive either.

Saluki

You were lucky! I have Sealskinz gloves, they were £30, don't keep my hands remotely warm, are not in the least bit waterproof, and are impossible to put on because the lining prolapses.

Do I live in a Parallel Universe?:smile:
Maybe you just got a duff pair, or I got a really good pair. Failing that the Parallel Universe theory could be the right one.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
You were lucky! I have Sealskinz gloves, they were £30, don't keep my hands remotely warm, are not in the least bit waterproof, and are impossible to put on because the lining prolapses.

Do I live in a Parallel Universe?:smile:
Their QC does seem a bit hit and miss, it took me 2 returns before I got a pair that are wind and waterproof as advertised & £30 too.

When you drop on a pair made on the good side of the factory, they are excellent.

OP. Layers rather than a big bulky boil in the bag coat would be my advice, get a gore windstopper layer in there as it is the wind ripping through you more than raw temperature that hurts. Rain is an occupational hazard but surprisingly rare, as is really cold weather.

Oh and get a buff or two. They're ace

Saluki

+1 on the buff idea. I have about 6 now. Some with a fleece bit, some without and they are awesome all year round.

I don't use cycling tights as they can be expensive. I use dance tights, half the price and very comfy. Then shorts and leg warmer things or cycling longs over the top.
On slightly cold days, when I don't need anything as hefty as my sealskinz, I have running gloves (bright yellow ones) under my regular mits. Comfy and padded and just warm enough without being boiling.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
When you drop on a pair made on the good side of the factory, they are excellent.
I just can't be bothered to give a brand that has sold me expensive garbage another chance. Sealskinz are history round here. So are Endura. I bought my first pair of their track mitts. They started falling apart due to lamentable stitching within a fortnight. Those scraps of cloth cost £30. Utter sh^t. Never again, thank you.

Saluki

I just can't be bothered to give a brand that has sold me expensive garbage another chance. Sealskinz are history round here. So are Endura. I bought my first pair of their track mitts. They started falling apart due to lamentable stitching within a fortnight. Those scraps of cloth cost £30. Utter sh^t. Never again, thank you.
Can't say that I blame you. I had 2 pairs of Merrill hiking boots that bit the dust very quickly. The first pair I returned as faulty, the replacement pair were equally rubbish and I've not bought a pair since.

My Altura mitts have been really good. I've had them 2 years now but the stitching is starting to go a bit and the velco is a bit pants now. I might try a different brand next time or I might get the same mitts again if I can find them on offer, again.

OP
OP
monkeylc

monkeylc

Über Member
Cheers for the quick advice people, so thin layers and remove as needed and a decent wind/water resistant jacket should be ok?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Cheers for the quick advice people, so thin layers and remove as needed and a decent wind/water resistant jacket should be ok?
It's completely un-cool, but you could do worse than buy a decent pair of waterproof overtrousers as well. Altura do good ones. It's entirely possible to ride to work without feeling the need to make a dramatic "Clark Kent" transformation.

Top Bottom