Winter shoes/boots Vs overshoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
It’s got me looking ! Would be less flaff and likely hood I would wear them all winter .

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Still think water would run down your leg into these boots ? Over shoes work for me, managed two winters out of last lot. They were only £20.
You can divert any water running down your leg to the outside of the boot using a pair of drysuit ankle seals
The narrow end goes against the skin of your leg, the wide end fits over the top of the boot. Any longs should be on the outside of the seal.
Works fine, so long as you don't put a foot down in deepish flood water.

If you want to try it out cheaper, you can also use the wrist sections from a pair of rubber washing up gloves.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
You can divert any water running down your leg to the outside of the boot using a pair of drysuit ankle seals
The narrow end goes against the skin of your leg, the wide end fits over the top of the boot. Any longs should be on the outside of the seal.
Works fine, so long as you don't put a foot down in deepish flood water.

If you want to try it out cheaper, you can also use the wrist sections from a pair of rubber washing up gloves.
Yes yes I know all about that, point being I would want to avoid all that flaff, hence your as well with over shoes ?

Mo1959

Legendary Member
The cold bothers me more than the wet. Managed to pick up a barely used pair of Northwave winter boots on eBay and love them. Was out in minus 3 the other morning and my feet were nice and warm.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I use these to great effect. Not sure what they're called but seems similar to what @andrew_s is referring to. Put them on over my bib longs so 50% is below the top of the boot and 50% above. Put boot on and roll the upper half down over the boot. Gives an excellent seal.

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
I use these to great effect. Not sure what they're called

They're the GripGrab CyclinGaiters.

I also use these and find them very effective - for sealing both winter boots directly, or the tops of overshoes. Although in day-long heavy rain, water will still migrate down through the lower-leg tights material eventually (but the gaiters slow it down dramatically). However, if the lower leg is bare the sealing is very good indeed.

They come in two sizes - S/M and L/XL.

S/M is VERY tight, so unless one has skinny calves, L/XL is the one to go for.

Last edited:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Coming round to the idea of these and a pair of winter shoes by north wave ? :okay:

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
Good plan. Northwave seems to have the best range of winter boots by far.

I'm still trying to wear out some Sidi winter boots which have irritatingly crap cuffage, so that I can justify investing in some Northwaves.

Then again, I may just go ahead anyway.....!

Top Bottom