Winter shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
I just use the same ones as I use in summer but covered in thick neoprene overshoes. Even in sub zero temperatures my feet stay warm.

OP
OP
Y

yellow v2

Yes I do to at the moment but I'm not overly impressed, as although they do the job, the zip has now gone in one of them and there is also a small tear, as they are only a year old and not had a lot of use I thought that in the long run it is probably cheaper to buy some proper winter shoes.

domtyler

Über Member
The ones I am using are these Adistar ones. They don't have a zip, they use velcro, they're really thick and keep my feet really warm without getting sweaty, seem rock solid, they are definitely the best I have had. No problem in recommending them at all. Loads of reflectives too.

What type of pedals do you use?

ash68

yellow v2 said:
Does anyone have any recommendations for winter shoes/boots?

been thinking about some myself for after xmas.The ones in my local bike shop are 1) Specialized BG Defroster £99.95
2) Shimano MW02 goretex boots £94.95
3) Shimano mt90 gortex mountain trail shoe £114.95
There are pictures/descriptions of these at www.edinburghbicycle.com if you care to look.Just click onto webshop and follow the links. I'm tempted with the spesh ones at the moment. ANyone got these and have any views?

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I like the Ice Biking solution SPD Sandals, thick socks and neoprene booties, sounds wacky but they perfectly serious. I am also tempted by the Specialized BG Defroster boots but my size are out of stock...

Tynan

Veteran
pondering this, overshoes are ok, slight hassle putting them on and off, and mine are a month old and already starting to fall to bits, I have a bit of walking at the ends of my commutes, that and the endless stops for lights

they looks good in theory, the winter waterproof shoes/boots ...

domtyler

Über Member
Can the people whose overshoes are falling to bits after a small amount of time post what kind of pedals and the brand of their overshoes please? I'd like to get to the bottom of this problem.

I suspect that you are all using SPD type pedals, am I right?

Tynan

Veteran
half price!

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=4806&categoryID=217

which I'd seen that yesterday when I had £50 to spend, wasted it on two tops and a light

Tynan

Veteran
yes, SPD

it's certainly not helping, although some of the damage at least is around the front and lower toe and is from stopping at lights etc

domtyler

Über Member
As I thought, the recessed cleats are not doing the overshoes any favours by the sounds of it. I am using SPD-SL cleats:
SPD-SL.jpg

which poke out of the bottom, the yellow pontoons are what make contact with the ground protecting the overshoe from damage.

Maybe if you are determined to stick with SPDs then winter boots are the better solution than overshoes?

gavintc

Guru
I use Look Keo cleats protected by cleat covers when I walk in them. I think this is the ideal as the overshoes are not worn away and the cleat covers allows normal walking. I have a significant walk (400m) at the end of the ride and have not had a problem with this option.

U

User482

I use diadora chilli extreme mtb boots. Toasty and waterproof.

domtyler

Über Member
gavintc said:
I use Look Keo cleats protected by cleat covers when I walk in them. I think this is the ideal as the overshoes are not worn away and the cleat covers allows normal walking. I have a significant walk (400m) at the end of the ride and have not had a problem with this option.

You have to remember your covers though, with SPD-SL they are built-in, less faff. :blush:

Chris James

Über Member
I have a pair of Altura (I think!), velcro attached, neoprene overshoes with a toe reinforcement that I have used for a couple of years with SPDs.

They are fine. NO wear at all.

Mind you, my feet still feel cold in them after a couple of hours in freezing conditions, especially after long downhills. I think I have cold extremities though as my hands are often cold when hill walking.

Top Bottom