Winter Solstice Ride 2020

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Landsurfer

Veteran
Winter solstice 2020 in Northern Hemisphere will be at 13:30 on
Monday 21 December

I'm planning a dawn to dusk ride on this the shortest day of the year on the plain north and east of Doncaster ..... anyone else have any plans..

No, but I always look forward to that day as being the bottom of the pit.

OP
OP
Landsurfer

Landsurfer

Veteran
2108:19 ↑ (130°)15:48 ↑ (230°)7:29:28−0:0206:0818:0006:5117:1707:3616:3112:04 (13.2°)147.161

7 and a half hours of daylight, thats a 60 mile touring day with lots of stops for photos and petrol station raids for Meal Deals .....

OP
OP
Landsurfer

Landsurfer

Veteran
You are not a car. You don't need petrol. You can do better and takeaway cafes and pubs are crying out for support. Often locally owned, unlike the oil giants.
And closed here in Lockdown / Tier 3 world .... .... CLOSED ...... Pubs are shut, many will never re-open .... the majority of cafes in our area have been shut for ages .... there is just not the footfall to make it worth turning on the lights ..... all the cafes within a 20 mile radius that I would plan my riding around are ........ Closed ........
Maybe the destruction of the hospitality sector has missed Norfolk ....

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Maybe the destruction of the hospitality sector has missed Norfolk ....
Hopefully. It's quite an outdoorsy kind of place, what with the various cycleways, MTB routes and long distance walking trails. I know a Reepham cafe closed but now new people have taken it on and a new café has opened in Great Massingham recently despite operating takeaway-only for now, plus there's a couple of takeaway vans with new stops, such as the excellent Doubtfire Waffles (Lynn Tue, Downham Fri&Sat and soon Ely Thu&Sun). I expect some places will never reopen but we'll only find that out when we're back in Tier 1. For now, what's still open really appreciates cyclists' custom.

Slick

Guru
I didn't have anything planned but you have definitely given me food for thought. All our local cafes are closed as we are in tier 4 but should all be open by the 21st. A day trip round Arran or even the 5 ferry challenge thing might be an option on a winter timetable. :okay:

I'd like to do something. Normally do a SUMMER solstice ride (at night mostly!); the shortest day is less enticiing.
But I have the day off and am desperate for motivation.

Probably wait to see what the restrictions are; might be able to do a group ride/meetup ...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I wouldn't do it on the Monday here because I would be setting off in rush hour traffic and then coming back in it. If we have nice weather over the weekend though I might be tempted to do a 100 km ride on the Saturday or Sunday. (I've only done one so far this year, and it would be nice to double my tally! :laugh:)

Top Bottom