Winter taking its toll...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
Mine looks like that after about 3 days :laugh:

I was just thinking that this morning when I looked down and realised it was all covered in crud again...

12boy

Guru
I have given this a little thought and wondered if you had considered the 2 chain ring option with the SA 3 speed you already have or even the BSR 3 speed. This could help in 2 ways.....You could replace the 2 speed tensioner with the one speed whose jockey wheels do not need to move from side to side, and the chainrings may be easier to clean than little sprockets. Obviously, the disadvantage would be the need to manually shift the chain when you tackle your very steep hill. Another option with the simpler one speed tensioner could be sealed bearing jockey wheels which would be relatively impervious to getting inside the jockey wheels.

Tom B

Guru
I ride fixed in the winter, I got the bike out at the end of October to start using it and fitted a new chain, I checked the chain the other day and its knackered, 0.75, I think winters hard on most bikes.

You're doing well I've got 5 weeks 1000miles out of a new chain on an 8 speed. Cassette and crankset are both well worn so I'm just riding it until it dies or the weather improves then I'll replace the lot.

I live in the gritty north and the council's around here don't seem to believe in emptying the gullies.
According to an FOI the empty them annually, last emptied March 2018. :laugh:

D

Deleted member 1258

You're doing well I've got 5 weeks 1000miles out of a new chain on an 8 speed. Cassette and crankset are both well worn so I'm just riding it until it dies or the weather improves then I'll replace the lot.

I live in the gritty north and the council's around here don't seem to believe in emptying the gullies.
According to an FOI the empty them annually, last emptied March 2018. :laugh:

My Eastway, 2x10 speed, is only used in the summer and the chain on that is knackered, thats done about 3000 miles, I can't remember how many chains the cassette has had on it so when I get it out at the end of the month it might need chain and cassette.

Top Bottom