Taking a less compact folding bike on Transpennine trains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dadam

In the near future I am likely to be travelling over to central Manchester every so often from Leeds with work. I'd prefer to take the train and it would be nice to take my Carrera Intercity Disc 9 folder for the last mile. It's likely I'll be visiting both our Manchester office and client site(s) on these visits too, so having a folding bike on hand would be very convenient.

Transpennine say "folding bikes" are allowed between the seats or in the luggage racks, but I'd probably be travelling at peak times and TPE are famously crowded. Anybody have direct experience with the Carrera folders (or any folder bigger than the Brommie) on this route?

Kingfisher101

Über Member
If its totally rammed it will be very difficult to get it on and off and people will not move for you in my experience. I'd just try it and see how you get on. If its not a goer then its not. I've had to totally ram a bike out of a packed carriage before now as people wouldn't move. A friend of mines son also couldn't get his bike off when he was visiting his Dad.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dadam

Thanks, will probably try it. I'm 6'3" and no lightweight when it comes to shoving people out of the way, but often a bit too polite until my level of pissed-off exceeds the default assertiveness level! :biggrin:

If it's that bad after the first one or two I might end up just taking the car to the most convenient multi-storey (I can expense parking) and pop the bike in the boot if I want to nip here and there.

I took the car over there for a couple of years, roughly once a fortnight. Fine at first when most people were still WFH but got progressively worse.

Drago

Legendary Member
Not done Transpennine specifically but I've taken my ID9 on the train as far north as Edinburgh, as far SW as Exeter, and as far SE as Kent, and on the tube for good measure, and never had a moments problem. Unless TPR are a law unto themselves as regards folders - which is possible- I don't see you having any more drama than any other folder rider.

I do use luggage racks, but typically set the folder between my knees when I'm seated and no one has ever spanked my bottom over it yet.

Drago

Legendary Member
PS, a great bike to get astride when you arrive, one of the best riding folders.

Being a proper sized man instead of some simpering bantamweight you'll be fine with the fold. It's not as compact as the B word but still plenty manageable, and it more than makes up for it when it's time to unfold and ride the thing.

OP
OP
D

Dadam

Out of interest, how did you get on? Sorry to bump an old thread.

Never went. :whistle: That Manchester project didn't happen in the end, so I'm now working with a client in Leeds where I live, easily inside bike distance. There's always a chance of an adhoc visit to the Manchester office but no real reason or opportunity to go at the minute.

Top Bottom