Winter touring on e-bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carpiste

Guru

gzoom

Über Member
Also, another very possibly ignorant question - won't this cold weather issue shorten the life of the battery? Maybe substantially? ie the more charge that is lost to nowt the more the batteries will have to be recharged - and they do of course have a limited number of effective charge cycles.

I wouldn't worry about battery life, after 54 cycles (roughly 2500 miles on this battery) the battery degradation on my eBike is reporting at just 2%. I now have a second battery for the bike as well, so I suspect I'll never need to buy another battery for this bike due to degradation for next 5 years.

The temperature is interesting, even though it was well into single digit temperatures today by the end of my commute the motor was reporting a temperature of 22degrees, however I used 50% SOC to cover 8 miles!!! Some of that is due to some *modifications* I have done to the bike, but its roughly 40% more consumption than even just a few weeks ago. So ambient temperature does have a big impact on energy consumption.

51698545572_c68895c4bf_c_d.jpg

CXRAndy

Guru
I wouldn't worry about battery life, after 54 cycles (roughly 2500 miles on this battery) the battery degradation on my eBike is reporting at just 2%. I now have a second battery for the bike as well, so I suspect I'll never need to buy another battery for this bike due to degradation for next 5 years.

The temperature is interesting, even though it was well into single digit temperatures today by the end of my commute the motor was reporting a temperature of 22degrees, however I used 50% SOC to cover 8 miles!!! Some of that is due to some *modifications* I have done to the bike, but its roughly 40% more consumption than even just a few weeks ago. So ambient temperature does have a big impact on energy consumption.

View attachment 618997
Do you precondition the battery, eg finish charge literally before riding? Its the simplest way of heating the cells. once riding the motor drawing current also keeps the battery warm. Last thing is reducing external wind chill temperatures chilling the battery, thermal blanket. Neoprene with a reflective/thermal wind barrier.

I did a ride in 7C windy conditions, started riding upon finish charge and got a decent mileage from the battery, no worse than mid summer. It could have been my riding pace that day, but I was pleased that no noticeable range loss.

gzoom

Über Member
@CXRAndy I don't preheat the battery, though the bike is stored in doors but the room isn't heated. Am not too fussed about range now that I have a charger at work and a spare battery I can swap into for longer trips.

Just as with EVs in general, as long as the range does what I want/need and can charge at my destination its a none issue. Remember to charge all the lights/heated gloves etc is more hassle :laugh:.

CXRAndy

Guru
I've noticed our Nissan Leaf's performance range wise is slightly better if we drive immediately a charge has finished. If we drive a few hours later the range is less for same percentage of charge. I suppose its the same with Tesla, but they are more informative, by reducing regen braking until the battery has warmed up. The Nissan, do it too, just don't inform me of it, but I can feel the lack of regen when we have cold battery.

OP
OP
FrothNinja

FrothNinja

Veteran
Apart from battery issues there will be daylight issues. Advisable to pack a set of battery/rechargeable lights for a worst case scenario.
There are 'built in' lights on the bike though I never use them. I use the lights that I use on my treaders, and wear lots of reflective kit...and pray the drivers don't want to kill a cyclist

gzoom

Über Member
I have this lot to charge when I get to work after taking the bike into work. Its pretty dark by 5pm these days, so unless you want to be road kill you cannot have enough lights.....I may get another helmet light this xmas, I worry the one I have now isn't bright enough to get noticed when am starting at cars waiting to pull out of junctions :smile:.

51698842292_3b67b8de99_c_d.jpg

OP
OP
FrothNinja

FrothNinja

Veteran
The weather has not been amenable so far though I have devised an insulating sleeve or two, both held in place by velcro straps.
1 - a piece of neoprene pond liner wrapped around the front tube
2 - as 1 but with closed cell foam sheet under the neoprene
The neoprene will also serve as a cover for the battery cavity while the battery lives in the house over winter.
Sensible??

CXRAndy

Guru
The weather has not been amenable so far though I have devised an insulating sleeve or two, both held in place by velcro straps.
1 - a piece of neoprene pond liner wrapped around the front tube
2 - as 1 but with closed cell foam sheet under the neoprene
The neoprene will also serve as a cover for the battery cavity while the battery lives in the house over winter.
Sensible??
Spot on. :okay:

Nothing really more can be done for when riding

Top Bottom