Winter Touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Any recommendations for any sites (particularly near pubs :smile: ) with winter opening in the Lake and Peak districts ticktock?

I appreciate that you can't give pointers to particular pubs you have come to informal arrangements with.

But on the question of that, did these unidentified pubs have outside toilet facilities? If not, did that bother you or them?

I ask because I've often thought of doing the same as you - just rolling up and asking a pub.

In the Lakes there is Wasdale campsite, Langdale campside with the Old Dungeon Gill pubs near by.
Sykeside Campsite near to brothers Water, complete with Pub.
In the Peaks at Edale you have two campsites both with pubs near.
At Ashford in the Water (Monsal Head) peak house has all year camping,
Buxton has Cold spring farm all year round, with the Pubs about 20 Minutes walk away in town.
at Horton-in-Ribbledale there are campsites that are open all year
The list Goes on and on but thats just a few to whet your appetite for winter camping..
Hope that helps, once you have a plan if you need more Campsites just PM me, and I will see what more I have in my site list.

Gas stoves can be dangerous in the winter. Some years ago I was up on the southdowns in January, during the night we had a really cold night. In the morning I laid in my sleeping bag and lit the gas stove to have a brew, one big bang and a whoosh, and a sheet of flame shot across the floor of the tent. What had happened was because of the severe cold the gas had leaked from around the gasket where the tap screwed onto the cylinder, the gas had because of the cold remained as moisture on the groundsheet of the tent. luckily I had opened the Door of the tent before lighting the stove, so the stove was thrown out of the door very quickly. now at night the stove and cylinders live outside of the tent under the flysheet.

My own choose of stove for winter backpacking/cyclepacking is my MSR XGK which is a bit of overkill, but has the highpower for the coldest mountain days, I also use a Chinese gas stove which cost me about £5.00 in a shop in Thailand, but here in the UK, it sells for about £39.00.

Gas stoves can be dangerous in the winter. Some years ago I was up on the southdowns in January, during the night we had a really cold night. In the morning I laid in my sleeping bag and lit the gas stove to have a brew, one big bang and a whoosh, and a sheet of flame shot across the floor of the tent. What had happened was because of the severe cold the gas had leaked from around the gasket where the tap screwed onto the cylinder, the gas had because of the cold remained as moisture on the groundsheet of the tent. luckily I had opened the Door of the tent before lighting the stove, so the stove was thrown out of the door very quickly. now at night the stove and cylinders live outside of the tent under the flysheet.

My own choose of stove for winter backpacking/cyclepacking is my MSR XGK which is a bit of overkill, but has the highpower for the coldest mountain days, I also use a Chinese gas stove which cost me about £5.00 in a shop in Thailand, but here in the UK, it sells for about £39.00.

that could be why you should never ever cook inside the tent, no matter how cold it is outside. Even at -15C we still cook outside.

that could be why you should never ever cook inside the tent, no matter how cold it is outside. Even at -15C we still cook outside.

yes I agree, after many years of Mountaineering, backpacking and cycle touring you would think I would have learnt, but I still do the same. I have always have done it, and I always have the door open, but in that case it was a surprise to see the flame whoosh across the floor of the tent, sure made me concentrate the mind...LOL

Top Bottom