Winter Touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pkeenan

Über Member
Does anybody do it?

I was deprived of the opportunity to do a tour right through from spring to autumn this year - well and truely gutted. I can't stand the thought of waiting until warmer weather again...

I want to go away on my bike - even for just a few days. I think my tent will be fine, unless it heavily snows. But my sleeping bag is *very* summer-based (even find it chilly during summer when sleeping on peoples floors/sofas!).

I'm rather strapped for cash, so can't run out to buy winter equipment. But apart from the obvious (a suitable sleeping bag) - what would I need that I don't already have? (I tend to do completely independent and self-supported tours.)

I'm sure there are people on this forum who do enjoy a wintery tour...?! I would love to hear any thoughts/experiences.:smile:

P.H

Über Member
What you really need and I've never had on my few winter tours is something interesting to do on the long nights. If the weather is freezing like this weekend I wouldn't want to be on some remote road much after dark, then it's a long long time till it's light and thawed out again.
Kit wise, if you don't mind the weight and bulk, it shouldn't be too hard to get enough kit to stay warm, pay as much attention to what's under you as what's over you. And just stay close to civilisation till you're confident in your kit.

Crankarm

Guru
What you need is a credit card to book a flight to some where in the southern hemisphere that is warm and pleasant to make a long cycle tour eg Asia or Australia. I wouldn't cycle tour in the UK in winter as the weather is miserable and the days far too short. I suppose if it were during a milder spell you could BnB it but this would push up the cost. But if you are into punishment go for it. Btw I am not talking about riding where ever for a week during winter when the weather just happens to be kind for a few days.

grolyat

A winter Travelodge tour is possible - if you could find two or three consecutive cheap nights in places that were suitably far apart. Some prices seem to be low (<£20) ATM. It's much better "fun" spending twelve hours in a warm Travelodge room than in a tent at this time of year... and you can take less kit and dry your shoes too!

StuartG

slower but further
This might be a time to freeload and visit friends in the country. Impressed by your bravery in braving the cold you should get a warm bed or floor plus good company and beer on the long nights. And if the plan coincides with ice/snow its easier to cancel out at no penalty cost.

All you need to buy and carry is the optimum winter riding clothing. Don't skimp on the gloves!

willem

Über Member
Kit wise, your biggest problem will be the volume of your gear. Compact and warm stuff is expensive. But if you are normally touring with both front and rear panniers and with a bit of luck it should be possible without breaking the bank. The first thing is a warm mattress. You don't say what you have but this is critical. Ideal is either an Exped Downmat, or for less extreme conditions the cheaper Exped Synmat (the Thermarest Neoair Allseason would be more compact but also more expensive). You can extend the range of an existing mattress a bit by adding a closed cell foam mat. They are light and cheap, but bulky. Down sleeping bags are ideal, but not cheap. Alpkit do some good and affordable ones. Cumulus bags are also relatively cheap. A semi waterproof shell like PHD's Dryshell is useful, because things can get damp/wet in winter. A lot cheaper would be to take a down duvet from home if you have one. Simply drape it on top of your summer sleeping bag. In general, take all temperature ratings with a pinch of salt, even those of reputable manufacturers.
In terms of clothing, keeping your extremities warm is vital. I use some cheap Vaude nylon overshoes to keep my (Goretex lined) shoes dry at the outside, to keep my feet warmer, and even when it does not rain. And yes, warm gloves, a buff under your helmet, you really need all this, plus good waterproofs. That includes waterproof shoes: grass is very wet in this time of the year.
I like winter camping (did a weekend a few weeks ago with nighttime temperatures of -8C), but it is demanding of gear and your own skill. Without something to do in the evening it may also get boring. And it makes a difference where you go: the south of England is a lot easier than the Highlands.
Willem

Yellow7

Über Member
I strongly recommend couchsurfing.com & warmshowers.org, to guarantee a successful host each night you'd need to plan your route in advance; Okay, this may restrict freedom to where you are each day but ensures a warm couch / bed each night. This would also depend on what areas of the UK you intend to tour as rural areas may not have members on the websites but could be worth a look.

I've hosted four cyclist's this year, a lass from Brooklyn (NY), a South African, a chap cycling Budapest to Dublin & a young Indian lad heading back to London after riding Lands End to John o Groats.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Well how about sleeping in your clothes inside th ebag you have...and a liner...a good inflatable thermorest mattress is a must and I'd definatly be looking at alternate days in a warm hotel with a jacuzzi and steam bath right now.:laugh:

OP
OP
pkeenan

pkeenan

Über Member
Many thanks for responses so far.

I must apologise for being misleading in my OP, where I make it sound like I have no winter equipment at all! This is not the case, what I meant was more that if winter touring requires something that one wouldn't usually take on a standard tour - I cannot afford to buy whatever that might be at the moment. I am well kitted out for long day rides in the winter (and indeed, some decent length night rides...) in terms of gloves, clothing, layers and such. Again - sorry for not making that clearer.

From the posts above, the main point I had not considered was the longer dark hours, in which I would have very little to do to pass the time in my chilly tent! In my summer tours, I would usually enjoy good long pushes into the late evening, sometimes later (I sometimes finish at 1-2am, and pitch up camp in a field following a good 130 mile day!). Having done lamentably little cycling recently, and it being darker for longer, and much colder - I very much doubt I will be intending to do that sort of thing. So finding someway to have a warmer, more 'social' evening might be much better. Keep the mileage low, say 40-60 - so there's no 'urgency' about the day, and then rendezvous with some folks in a village pub... :thumbsup:

I will have to see...! I am desperate to satisfy my thirst for time away on my bike...!
Thanks again to those who have replied so far - some very helpful points!

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
do you have a smart phone? loads of cool stuff can be done on those to pass the time in a dark tent, music, readers, games, blogging etc.

I'm tempted to say take a woman...erm...but that has pros and cons lol!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I suppose a short winter tour is a good thing to do, just to find out if you ever want to do a long one :rolleyes:

Try a weekend tour first and then see.

Steve

Herbie

Veteran
Many thanks for responses so far.

I must apologise for being misleading in my OP, where I make it sound like I have no winter equipment at all! This is not the case, what I meant was more that if winter touring requires something that one wouldn't usually take on a standard tour - I cannot afford to buy whatever that might be at the moment. I am well kitted out for long day rides in the winter (and indeed, some decent length night rides...) in terms of gloves, clothing, layers and such. Again - sorry for not making that clearer.

From the posts above, the main point I had not considered was the longer dark hours, in which I would have very little to do to pass the time in my chilly tent! In my summer tours, I would usually enjoy good long pushes into the late evening, sometimes later (I sometimes finish at 1-2am, and pitch up camp in a field following a good 130 mile day!). Having done lamentably little cycling recently, and it being darker for longer, and much colder - I very much doubt I will be intending to do that sort of thing. So finding someway to have a warmer, more 'social' evening might be much better. Keep the mileage low, say 40-60 - so there's no 'urgency' about the day, and then rendezvous with some folks in a village pub... :thumbsup:

I will have to see...! I am desperate to satisfy my thirst for time away on my bike...!
Thanks again to those who have replied so far - some very helpful points!

On a scale of 1 to 10 how unenjoyable would a tour be in this country in the winter time? good luck to you anyway

OP
OP
pkeenan

pkeenan

Über Member
I think I'm going to take away the 'tour' label, and just string together a few days of cycling between places... (Sound silly, I know...)

So starting here in the Scottish Borders, I'll pedal up to Edinburgh. I'll stay at my cousin's, then go on to Glasgow to stay at my brother's. I'll then probably pedal back, but always have the option of hopping on a train.
This way I don't have to haul masses of equipment around.

But yes, scaling at 1 to 10, it doesn't exactly sell itself as an idea!

Herbie

Veteran
I think I'm going to take away the 'tour' label, and just string together a few days of cycling between places... (Sound silly, I know...)

So starting here in the Scottish Borders, I'll pedal up to Edinburgh. I'll stay at my cousin's, then go on to Glasgow to stay at my brother's. I'll then probably pedal back, but always have the option of hopping on a train.
This way I don't have to haul masses of equipment around.

But yes, scaling at 1 to 10, it doesn't exactly sell itself as an idea!

that sounds like more like a plan Stan :smile:

Top Bottom