Winter training bike - summer holiday project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montage

God Almighty
Sooner or later, in the words of the deceased Ned Stark, "winter is coming". This year I used a mudguard-less Kona Jake. For this coming season, I fancy something a better cheaper frame wise so I don't feel any regret riding it in the rain, and of course, something that can take mudguards.

Groupset wise I have a full set of 10 speed ultegra ready to go - wheels will be rs500s for now, and the frame will be cold set accordingly.

Recently purchased frame (photo is the sellers, it still has not come yet). Current silver is a rattlecan job apparently, so I would repaint it - Black would be the obvious choice, but I am also considering something a bit whacky for a bit of character - open to suggestions.

F29EE2AB-34D0-47B8-BA36-DA1F167FBF26-619-0000003D149A2CD3_zps10224107.jpg

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Winter is not coming. It is a figment of your imagination. :angry:

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
Every tube a different colour like the benetton vw's.

I'm going to stick to solid colour just to try to keep the price as low as possible, student budget and all that. Otherwise it would pretty much be every fluro colour possible

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
I wouldn't waste time and money re-painting it TBH, it looks more than passable for a winter hack IMO

Well I'm worried the rattlecan job might flake off, and I'm hoping to get 200+ miles a week in on this over the winter months, so I'd be happier if the frame was better protected. I've seen quotes for £35 for white/black powdercoat, and I'd much rather get this done before I've assembled the whole thing. Also rather than a hack, I want to make this a bike I enjoy riding - as it is going to be ridden a lot!

With regards to finishing kit - quill stem + compact bars, fizik arione saddle, carbon seatpost will be the order of the day. Should turn into an efficient comfy mile muncher!

Geometry wise I currently run a 60cm seat tube with a 58cm top tube - this frame is a 58 seat tube with a 57 top tube, so there shouldn't be many issues there. I have a spare 130mm stem lying around if I really need that stretch!

Asthetics wise, does anybody thing a quil-a head adapter would be an improvement? Cost would work out similar, so it is just a case of what looks better

BUR70N

Unless you have the frame now, see what the current silver paint job is like and then act accordingly. You never know it might be ok.

Failing that a Yellow of a bright colour as suggested above.

Top Bottom