Winter training in the gym??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

judder

I would like to keep my present fitness and possibly improve it over the winter ready for next years racing season..
A new gym is opening near me soon offering monthly membership so I could just join for 3 months..
What exercisers should I try. I presume they would be leg strengthening and cardio work..
Any fitness trainers out there to advise..
Thanks

PpPete

Legendary Member
Check out what sort of bikes they have. If proper spinning class type bikes (rather than "exercise bikes" with a saddles a mile wide) then it's well worth it.
Otherwise it depends what you want to achieve in next season... for example if it's your sprinting that needs work then do squats.
Don't neglect your core work though.

amaferanga

Veteran
If you want to race next year then MTFU and ride your bike through the winter. It'll do more for your fitness than a few spinning classes and lifting some weights (which probably won't improve your sprint anyway).

As above - if you want to improve your cycling fitness, then going to the gym is pretty pointless. Ride your bike. There's a few other threads on this forum which discuss the amount of strength you need (or more specifically, the amount of strength you don't need) for cycling - probably worth having a read of them first...

thefollen

Veteran
Big fan of circuit training myself. May not be cycle specific but an intense hour session will keep your heart rate nice and high cardiowise. It promotes a lean athletic physique, whilst keeping those legs supple and ready for action.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
TBH I would advise riding as much as you can bare and then riding the turbo trainer when you can't face the outdoors.

OP
OP
J

judder

MTFU Ha ha I like it..
Will be riding all winter. Would just like to include something else to get stronger..
As for training to improve sprinting, would just like to be in the finish so I could see the sprint.. ha ha
Thanks

Would just like to include something else to get stronger..

that's the point. You don't need to get stronger - you just need to get fitter. Ride your bike harder, and for longer...

Top Bottom