Winter training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fifelad

Veteran
What does everyone else do in the most foul weather when you cant go out ?

I dont have a turbo trainer- another expense too far at the moment, have an excercise bike in the shed hardly used, better than nothing,just to keep the legs turning, but know its going to be sooo boring! Would need to rig up lighting, music, tv etc me thinks ! to have any chance of staying on it for more than 10 minutes !!:whistle:

Getting paranoid that Im going to get all podgy before spring lol

D

Deleted member 1258

I dont have a turbo trainer- another expense too far at the moment, have an excercise bike in the shed hardly used, better than nothing,just to keep the legs turning, but know its going to be sooo boring! Would need to rig up lighting, music, tv etc me thinks ! to have any chance of staying on it for more than 10 minutes !!:whistle:

Getting paranoid that Im going to get all podgy before spring lol

Doesn't happen very often, I can't remember missing a commute due to the weather, Sunday club rides though are different, they are done for pleasure and if its to bad I wont go out, no point if I'm not going to enjoy it, I will just treat it as an extra rest day.

cloggsy

Boardmanist
You can pick up a Turbo cheap off the local classifieds or eBay (if you prefer riding your bike?) Otherwise, drag the exercise bike out and get on it - You'll be fine :thumbsup:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Doesn't happen very often, I can't remember missing a commute due to the weather, Sunday club rides though are different, they are done for pleasure and if its to bad I wont go out, no point if I'm not going to enjoy it, I will just treat it as an extra rest day.

Indeed, the only time the weather has stopped me commuting this year was when we had the snow in February.
And boy I have commuted in some seriously heavy rainfall this year....

I got a turbo for Christmas last year rather than for weather reasons it was more that I didn't want to be an hour into the middle of nowhere when I needed to study. In the past though the weather has never been so bad that I can't get out for weeks and would lose fitness. With me for Turbo Boredom I like to combat it with the mp3 player and short fixed distance (usually 10 miles) stints; I seem to be able to motivate my self better that way, if I don't like it, I can always make my self work harder to finish faster. I think though I'd like to check out some DVD's maybe the sufferfest ones.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
You can pick up a Turbo cheap off the local classifieds or eBay (if you prefer riding your bike?) Otherwise, drag the exercise bike out and get on it - You'll be fine :thumbsup:

+1

I got my turbo trainer for £80 off ebay. It is a bit scratched but has 7 different resistant modes and I can fit my bike in it easily. New ones nowadays can cost hundreds so deffinately go looking on ebay.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I really dont see the attraction in a turbo/rollers.

Bikes are supposed to be ridden outside, not in a garage. If you're worried about turning into a lard-arse over winter then spend the money you'd use on a turbo on some decent clothes and get outside in the fresh air. I'm almost certain skins waterproof :smile:

Personally I tend to get the MTB out more in winter; theres nothing like plowing through some serious mud and snow into a howling hail-storm, and that's just this weeks commuting :smile:

OP
OP
Fifelad

Fifelad

Veteran
Definitely spin classes on the cards, local sports centre been refurbished bikes have pedals where you can clip into, and also good for letching lol, think a turbo trainer will be required.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
+1
Commuting in most weathers, i only missed a week or so last winter when it was really bad.I am exactly the same with club runs as i regard them as "fun", i have not been out for a few weeks due to the dreaded cold that i think is turning into a chest infection :angry:

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
Like some of the others, I go out anyway. Only been to work in the car twice this year, and one of those was because I needed it for work. Last winter my commutes got down to -8C in the morning, though I know that's warm compared to some others here. I do worry a bit abut ice, though.

Top Bottom