Winter tyres and ice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sazzaa

Had my first run-in with some black ice this morning, the ice won, obviously... Worth getting winter tyres for this or will black ice take you out no matter what? I'm on cx tyres at the moment.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
From everything I've heard, studded winter tyres are the only option for ensuring you stay upright on sheet ice. I know @Pat "5mph" uses them and finds they work, as do a few other members on here.

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
Me thinks I need to get a pair

1510808_454181464682176_1726999480_n.jpg

1525241_454181494682173_304539760_n.jpg

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Me thinks I need to get a pair

1510808_454181464682176_1726999480_n.jpg

1525241_454181494682173_304539760_n.jpg
Ouch ........... and a razor

Schneil

Veteran

BSRU

A Human Being
I would not have ridden to work without the knowledge of knowing I was on Marathon Winters, no point taking the risk.
In the past three years I have owned them I have ridden over 2,000 km on them, without them I would have been in the car.
This morning being a prime example of lots of icy roads and sheet ice everywhere, even going up an 8% climb was no problem.

OP
OP
S

sazzaa

I would not have ridden to work without the knowledge of knowing I was on Marathon Winters, no point taking the risk.
In the past three years I have owned them I have ridden over 2,000 km on them, without them I would have been in the car.
This morning being a prime example of lots of icy roads and sheet ice everywhere, even going up an 8% climb was no problem.

When I looked out it looked a bit damp and drizzly, and there wasn't a hint of frost on the car. Really didn't expect a massive patch of ice!

Tommy2

Über Member
I've just bought a mountain bike for real bad weather (old spesh hardrock sport) are there any tyres that will be any good in slush, snow and ice or is that a run to work scenario?

BSRU

A Human Being
When I looked out it looked a bit damp and drizzly, and there wasn't a hint of frost on the car. Really didn't expect a massive patch of ice!
The same happens to me, I start in the town centre, no ice but by the time I hit the country lanes it is ice everywhere.
I had to stop this morning on a country lane to adjust my wheel magnet, I almost fell over it was so slippy under foot but the bike had no problems.

Top Bottom