winter tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shaun o'shea

SORRY I now this is a trying question but what tyres do you all use in the winter on your road bike.i have been using tri comps all summer but want to change to something a bit wider and harder wearing in the bad weather.
thanks up front

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
The same tyres as the rest of the year

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I agree and I just don't go out when there is snow or ice. I follow the local council's gritters report online and when they go out and I don't cycle until it has rained (and washed the roads clear).
Although I do intend to stick ice spikes/studs on the MTB this year, and have a winter bike for the iffy but not impassible road conditions.

Koga

Although I do intend to stick ice spikes/studs on the MTB this year, and have a winter bike for the iffy but not impassible road conditions.
I was referring to my road bike.
My commuting bike gets a different treatment and is used whenever I feel like it. Not enough snow and ice on the roads in Norfolk to warrant spike though !

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I use a wider, thicker tire due to sand, cinders, and salt on the roads for snow and ice melting, but your road bike may not adapt to all sizes of tire. I often use a heavier touring type bicycle I converted from an old hybrid, so it takes up to 37mm tires.

Koga

I use a wider, thicker tire due to sand, cinders, and salt on the roads for snow and ice melting, but your road bike may not adapt to all sizes of tire. I often use a heavier touring type bicycle I converted from an old hybrid, so it takes up to 37mm tires.
Good idea.
I use an old mountain bike with Schwalbe Land Cruiser tyres and let down the tyre pressure when there is snow on the roads.
Ref the Schwalbe Land Cruiser tyres, they are heavy, slow and don't like corners, but the are very strong I have had no punctures (2 years of rough and dirty roads) and there is hardly any sign of wear.

VamP

Banned
I use same tyres all year.

I've ran Mitchelin Krylion Carbons the last few summer and winters in the central belt of Scotland and last autumn/ winter/ spring (now down south) I'm ran their successor (Mitch Pro 4 Endurance). Conti 4 seasons are slightly better rolling and slightly grippier but they cost more and wear more so the Mitch wins for me.

Top Bottom