Winter tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jocks11

Hi,
Have you any advice on a good winter tyre for a road bike around £25-£35
Cheers

Last edited:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
What kind of bike / riding? MTB knobblies or 23mm road tyres?

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
I got fed up of punctures (seemed to be having far more than my fair share) and fitted Schwalbe Marathon Plus London. Yes, they were a bugger to get on (study the Spa Cycles video on youtube) and they're heavy and slow but I had my first puncture free winter ever. I keep them on a spare set of wheels and the first time I get a puncture this winter they'll be going back on.

vickster

Legendary Member
Don't think you need the pro version

@jefmcg dossnt think the pro are much better than the normal ones which are a fiver or more cheaper

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Pro are worth it for 20 quid a pop. Never had a single puncture on them commuting all last winter. Had non pro in the past and had punctures, so my totally anecdotal evidence tells me to spend the extra fiver.

vickster

Legendary Member
Fair enough, shopping around the OPs budget should buy two pro tyres and a couple of spare tubes :whistle:

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Everybody will recommend what they use themselves, so advice will be a bit biased, but for what it's worth, I have used continental city contacts 28mm on my winter road bike.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-contact-ii-reflex-city-road-tyre/

Have tried swalbe marathon +, but the tight fit and splitting on the side walls have turned me off them.

Contacts are about £17, so good value as well.

I think Schwalbe fixed the problems with the splitting sidewalls. Ive had Schwalbe marathon plus tyres for months and ive been across some pretty rough parts of tow path and its just perfect. Did your tyres have the reflective ring on the sidewall?

Top Bottom