Winter tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
I think Schwalbe fixed the problems with the splitting sidewalls. Ive had Schwalbe marathon plus tyres for months and ive been across some pretty rough parts of tow path and its just perfect. Did your tyres have the reflective ring on the sidewall?

I think they did. Have thrown them away, so can't check. They were the 25mm and were fine for the first winter, maybe the second, Then when I put them on for the last time, they developed a "bump" with each rotation and I found that the side wall was splitting away from the main tread. I put it down to the puncture protection layer, probably being the same as used for the wider tyres, so put a greater strain on the 25mm widths. The city contacts have been fine, but might try the M+ again when the contacts are worn.

Cheers Keith

U

User33236

Conti GP4 Seasons for.... erm....all 4 seasons.....including winter.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I think they did. Have thrown them away, so can't check. They were the 25mm and were fine for the first winter, maybe the second, Then when I put them on for the last time, they developed a "bump" with each rotation and I found that the side wall was splitting away from the main tread. I put it down to the puncture protection layer, probably being the same as used for the wider tyres, so put a greater strain on the 25mm widths. The city contacts have been fine, but might try the M+ again when the contacts are worn.

Cheers Keith

Sorry to hear that. Ive only had my commuter for a few months now so we shall see if it stands the test of time. I only replied to your comment as i have seen schwalbe directly respond to the the sidewall issues and they should have been fixed with a new batch.

I think they did. Have thrown them away, so can't check. They were the 25mm and were fine for the first winter, maybe the second
I think this is a bit hard on the tyres. If you can't remember for sure weather they lasted one or 2 winters, then I'm not sure what we can learn from this. 2 winters is twice as long as 1 winter (^_^) so that's a big margin of error. Schwalbe claim they should last around 10,000 km, so if you had them on for 2 winters and did at least 3,000 miles each time, that's pretty good. If you had them on for 3 months and you did 900 miles, not so good.

(that being said, I hate M+, and don't even like being in the same room as them. Hateful, vengeful, petty tyres :smile: )

mustang1

Legendary Member
I've used continued gatorskins 25mm for years as my commuter tire in all weather except snow/ice. They are in the low to mid £20 range each.

I also have 35mm schwalbe marathon supreme. I think they're around £35 per tire. Heavy, tough, but to get used to them quick and for commuting or touring, that's what I'd choose.

Unless you have a road bike, in which case eid stick with conti GS.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Last night I fitted Michelin lithium 2 - First time I'm fitting tyres on that price range. I've been using Michelin Pro 2, 3 and 4 SC for many years. I also have a set of Gatorskin which I'm not too impressed with.

I did a 10 mile test this morning and they felt fine but I hope they are sufficiently puncture proof or they'll go in the bin pretty quickly.

Tom B

Guru
I'll +1 that Ive been running a 28c Marathon + for about 5 months and of road it, cobbles/steps pretty regularly running 80-100psi no sign of cracking. No punctures yet * fingers crossed*.

edit - mine are green guard if that matters. Not the lightest but on my 32 spoke commuter bike I can get them into the top 10% on strava.

Top Bottom