Winter tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

8mph

Veteran
Very wise - I've been off the bike for 8 days after taking a tumble on frost. Since then I've found out that knobbly tyres are no defence against frost and ice. It happens so fast, I don't remember losing balance, just one-moment riding, the next sliding down the tarmac with my head 6" off the road. It wasn't even very cold, the sun was shining, it must have been a patch of road where the sun hadn't reached by 11.30am.

Look, I can show you videos of David Copperfield making a Boeing disappear on stage or walking through glass, but it will not stand up to scientific scrutiny.

Thousands, if not millions of people fall and injure themselves every single winter, from slipping on ice. If someone had a technology that could prevent that, it would be extremely valuable and would, by now, have been licensed by every single shoe company in the world. It hasn't. I'll draw my conclusions from that, you will obviously find another reason.

I cannot argue against someone who doesn't understand science. If you believe, you believe.

There is something else at play in that video, other than magic ice magnets.

However, the value and veracity of that demonstration is perhaps best reflected in this screen grab off that fantastic invention's YouTube page:

The date, views and comments say a lot. If you don't believe that, why not go and offer them a small bit of money to take their patent off their hands. It'll be worth a billion or more to you, for a very small investment.

Nigelnightmare

Über Member

Wow!
Just look at all those sipes.

Oh hang on a minute that was scratches on my safety classes:laugh:
With good reading glasses on the diamond shaped bits look almost exactly like my Schwalbe Kojack "Slick tyres" tread.

I'd like to see that same experiment carried out after wearing those shoes for a week when they'll be covered in contaminants and be slightly worn.

viniga

Guru
FWIW I have used studded tyres in the winter in Scotland. These are excellent at crossing ice. (In fact it has allowed me to cycle quite happily across ice surfaces I couldn't walk on!) I have no idea if the rubber compound itself is different, softer in the cold etc... it might be... and they do have a deep tread and seem to perform reasonably well in snow. I am still v cautious in frost, snow or mud as I realise that the studs don't help there.

Top Bottom