Winterising questions: Le Pug

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
I know its early but I want to have a good first go at winter cycling so am starting to stock up early on parts. Le Pug will also become my long term wet/winter bike as I've agreed it with HID that I can have a new good weather bike.

Could anyone advise on a winter/wet tyre and whether a 700c28 would go on the stock rims? Does anyone know if mud guards would also go on.

FWIW I use Conti Gatorskins all year round these days. Some say they can be twitchy in the wet but it's not a characteristic I've ever experienced with them, but if in doubt you could go for Conti 4 Seasons, they are equally well reviewed.

As for 28's I think you'd struggle TBH, but even if they did fit there's no way you'd get guards on as well, you might even struggle with guards if you fit 25's, it just depends on the actual clearance you have.

I'd go for fully fitted guards as opposed to race guards, but that's dependant on you having the eyelets to mount them.

FYI I've commuted all winter in the past on 23's and never had an issue, but if there was snow or a heavy frost then the bike stayed at home TBH.

OP
OP
Kevoffthetee

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
Thanks for the info. I've heard others on here mention conti 4seasons so might give them a go.

As for the mud guards, I'll have to see if anyone has managed to fit any to a Reynolds pug as I'll not be able to check the bike until next weekend due to work commitments

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Do you have any pannier/mudguard eyelets next to the rear hub?

Most old steel frame bikes I've seen have the ability to add full mudguards like SKS P35s. If you can link to a picture of the frame then it would make it easier

John the Canuck

..a long way from somewhere called Home..
and whether a 700c28 would go on the stock rims?................

be careful

1...are your rims steel..?
such as the original chrome RIGIDA on earlier Peugeots [mine]
if so, the rims prob have straight walls
you can ONLY put wire-bead tyres on
i have Schwalbe Lugano 700x25c - and would not go wider
and I only inflate to 80psi regardless of the min rating stated on the sidewall

2....if they're alloy then prob 'clinchers'
and you can fit 'folding' or 'wire-bead' [still my favorite]
you need to take a tyre off - and measure the ''internal rim width'' here 17.8mm
not-recessed_zps61732daa.jpg
this will show you the range you can safely fit. [25mm or 28mm in this case is OK ]
..here.....Tire Sizing Systems

HTH......................john

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kevoffthetee

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
Hi john, rims are marked Mavic 1ere Monte/oem 192 NE and are clinchers.

I'm not taking the tires off for at least a month or so unless I get a puncture so will have to trawl t'internet for info

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
i used p clips to fit a set of guards to an Optimum before now they worked fine not sure you could use any bigger than 23c tyres though with guads

Top Bottom