Wired or Wireless Computers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
toontra said:
You must have the only wireless comp that isn't affected by close proximity to either:

Traffic lights
Electricity pylons
Generators
Other wireless gadgets (e.g. heart rate monitors)
Random power surges from other street sources

I tried six or seven wireless comps. All were affected by some or all of the above, rendering them useless for reliable info when following audax routesheets.

I now use Aldi wired computers. Rock solidly reliable, huge battery life (i.e. 3 years), less weight and cost £4 each!

Depends whether you put style above function IMO.

Does your computer record cadence, elevation, HR, speed, route and posess the functionality to give your directions if you so wish it to?

My (much cheaper) Polar wirelessly does speed, HR, cadence and the appropriate averages etc and that doesn't struggle with traffic lights in London (of which there are plenty to test it!!) other comps (on club runs) etc

Thats two perfectly reliable wireless jobbies I have used in loads of weather conditions and over greatly varying distances and types of electronic interference.

The only thing my Garmin failled at was my attempt to get it to record our holiday flight to spain :wacko::biggrin: Which I will excuse it for :ohmy::becool:

I think it is more a case of desired functionality AND style. Cycling is a high tech sport, but manages to retain a rather die-hard element of "make do and mend-ers" who will whip out their £2 this, and their £10 that. These cheap items are always presented with a kind of pride, at how they are just as good as their more expensive counterparts, but vastly cheaper.

I most recently came accross this with a guy who bought a job lot of no-name brake blocks off ebay for £6. They are apparently just as good as my £7 per wheel KoolStops, except they wear out twice as fast, leave black crap all over his bike, and are flagrantly lacking in stopping power. Other than that, they are just as good :tongue:

I'm not saying that there is no use for cheap componants, especially the like of computers, bottles etc. But I do think there is a rather weird obcession (sp?) in cycling with basic technology, getting things on the cheap, and scoffing at the desire to look good AND perform well.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
No problems with my Cateye Micro Wireless. I am not keen on wired computers, they look untidy. Also with wireless if the weather is wet you can stick them in a pocket and they still work.

bonj2

Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
I think it is more a case of desired functionality AND style. Cycling is a high tech sport, but manages to retain a rather die-hard element of "make do and mend-ers" who will whip out their £2 this, and their £10 that. These cheap items are always presented with a kind of pride, at how they are just as good as their more expensive counterparts, but vastly cheaper.

I most recently came accross this with a guy who bought a job lot of no-name brake blocks off ebay for £6. They are apparently just as good as my £7 per wheel KoolStops, except they wear out twice as fast, leave black crap all over his bike, and are flagrantly lacking in stopping power. Other than that, they are just as good :tongue:

I'm not saying that there is no use for cheap componants, especially the like of computers, bottles etc. But I do think there is a rather weird obcession (sp?) in cycling with basic technology, getting things on the cheap, and scoffing at the desire to look good AND perform well.

I wholeheartedly agree jacomus :wacko:

on any given day, there's likely to be a die-hard of "make do and mend"ers to be found in aldi or wilko's rummaging through the bargain bins, or haggling over the price of inner tubes, whilst others with better kit are actually cycling :ohmy:

I've adopted that philosophy for a while, and it doesn't work very well - for me, anyway. So now, i stick to the opposite philosophy - in fact sometimes if in doubt i deliberately go for the most expensive - worked on my recent purchase of a polaris jacket, which is excellent. There's also the school of thought that says if you buy nice kit, it serves as motivation to get up off your arse and go out on your bike just in order to use it.

i have got a sigma bc1606l 'cos it's the only comp that is wired and has a backlight. I wouldn't mind a garmin though...i keep hearing good reports of them. Presumably it can fulfill all the functions of bike satnav, car satnav, bike computer? And bike trip recorder if you have the special software?

Plax

Guru
You get what you pay for at the end of the day I suppose. I am a fan or wired though. I had a wireless Sigma BC1200. Unreliable rubbish. Got a wired cateye Enduro 8 now, did have a problem the other day, but that was with the battery. Changed that and is all ok. One battery. The dratted wireless one I had needed 3.

xroads

Bad experiences with wireless. Batteries draining quickly. Most annoying part for me is having to turn it on manually after an idle period (to save battery life on the receiver).
Aldi bikemate is the best wired computer, so many features for £4 (temperature reading, backlight,calories etc ). Batteries last forever, easy twist off removal, customisable display and easy to use. Will be picking up a few as spares next time they appear.

bonj2

xroads said:
Bad experiences with wireless. Batteries draining quickly. Most annoying part for me is having to turn it on manually after an idle period (to save battery life on the receiver).
Aldi bikemate is the best wired computer, so many features for £4 (temperature reading, backlight,calories etc ). Batteries last forever, easy twist off removal, customisable display and easy to use. Will be picking up a few as spares next time they appear.

backlight and wired? pick me one up aswell will you

bonj said:
on any given day, there's likely to be a die-hard of "make do and mend"ers to be found in aldi or wilko's rummaging through the bargain bins, or haggling over the price of inner tubes, whilst others with better kit are actually cycling :thumbsup:

Or you could be like me and buy expensive kit purely for the pleasure of putting it on a bike, then never actually ride the bike it's attached to.:ohmy:

Seriously, I always find the dearest stuff is overpriced (and I can't do it justice anyway) while the cheap stuff is usually just nasty. So I normally go for something in the middle.

toontra

Veteran
Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
Does your computer record cadence, elevation, HR, speed, route and posess the functionality to give your directions if you so wish it to?

My (much cheaper) Polar wirelessly does speed, HR, cadence and the appropriate averages etc and that doesn't struggle with traffic lights in London (of which there are plenty to test it!!) other comps (on club runs) etc

Thats two perfectly reliable wireless jobbies I have used in loads of weather conditions and over greatly varying distances and types of electronic interference.

The only thing my Garmin failled at was my attempt to get it to record our holiday flight to spain :sad::biggrin: Which I will excuse it for :sad::becool:

I most recently came accross this with a guy who bought a job lot of no-name brake blocks off ebay for £6. They are apparently just as good as my £7 per wheel KoolStops, except they wear out twice as fast, leave black crap all over his bike, and are flagrantly lacking in stopping power. Other than that, they are just as good :smile:

Just to make sure I understand you - are you saying your wireless computer never suffers from interference of any kind? If so, please tell me the make and model and I'll buy one. If I do actually get problems then I'll name and shame on this forum ;)

BTW, I don't need all the other functions you mention on a computer. I have these and many more on my Garmin eTrex Vista. I want my computer to do a few things (dist., av. speed, time, odo) but do them with complete reliability.

EDIT: Actually, don't bother. I've just looked on Wiggle and Polar comps seem to cost between £50 and £450.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Smokin Joe said:
No problems with my Cateye Micro Wireless. I am not keen on wired computers, they look untidy. Also with wireless if the weather is wet you can stick them in a pocket and they still work.

Just wined the wire around the brake cable to keep it neatly out of the way. I have never had a problem with using my ADO C4 in the wet, it has alway worked fine. Wireless just has more to go wrong.

I used to have problems with the contacts between the computer and handlebar cradle getting corroded on wired computers. Lots of messing about cleaning the contacts, waggling the computer in the cradle, a complete pain.

So I went wireless with Cateye Cordless 7, and they're excellent to fit, but found that the sender units die after about 2 or 3 years (think it's the same sender on a Cateye Micro Cordless)

I was given a Boardman wireless with altitude and gradient last Christmas, which has lots of functions but unfortunately you have to zero each one individually, which is a bit of a pain at the start of a ride.
And it has interference from my BLT Ozone LED headlight, does 18mph standing still if the light's on (never had interference on the Cateyes).

So I wouldn't say either sort is brilliant. As transmission components, wheels, etc have improved so much over the last 20 years, I think the computer is now one of the weakest parts of the bike.

(- but 20 years ago a 'cycle computer' meant a little peg on the wheel turning a little cog on an analogue mileometer mounted on the fork - remember them ?)

mondobongo

Über Member
Wireless for me had a Sigma BC1106 about 6 months ago, its not put a beep out of line interference none. Resisted having a comp all the time I was MTB'ing but having switched to the road became a bit of an anorak and wanted to record speed etc for me there was no choice it had to be wireless as did not want a trailing wire.
Actually bought it in Decathlon Dave as their own brand computers were a tad on the fugly side.

OP
OP
A

ak88

Seems a fair split between everyones experience of both types. I will probably try a wireless first for the convenience and if that plays up then move to a wired.

02GF74

Über Member
andy_wrx said:
I used to have problems with the contacts between the computer and handlebar cradle getting corroded on wired computers. Lots of messing about cleaning the contacts, waggling the computer in the cradle, a complete pain.

(- but 20 years ago a 'cycle computer' meant a little peg on the wheel turning a little cog on an analogue mileometer mounted on the fork - remember them ?)

Yes. I habe been trhough abot 4 or more wired computoters and each one aslways fails due to contact in the craddle.

I have bought one wireless for mtb but due to the position of the sender unit, I could not get it to run reliably. Should have put it on another bike but didn;t get round to it, pretty sure both batteries are dead now.,

Top Bottom