Wired or Wireless Computers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ak88

Whats the general consensus and peoples experience between using a wired versus a wireless computer. The wireless sounds more convenient but is it usable or are there any downsides over a wired version.

I am thinking about getting a Cateye Micro wireless to collect my commuting data.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Go for wired. The wireless tend to be more unreliable.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I like wired - cheaper, in general, and slightly easier to spot where there's a problem. It can make your bike look a bit untidy though, if you're not a fan of trailing wires (I compound the yuk factor by using electrical tape to hold the wires to the frame).

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Wired. More reliable. My wireless one stopped working before it was ment to, it was only a cheap ish one though.
Wired is cheaper, the wireless one i had took loads of batteries in the trasmitter and the computer.
My cable just runs down the front brake cable then goes off onto the fork, i wrapped it around the cable and it doesnt look too bad.

Tynan

Veteran
loads of people grumble about their lights interfering with the wireless model

and all sorts of stuff at the side of the road

toontra

Veteran
Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
Wireless, totally reliable IME, so much neater and easier than wired.

You must have the only wireless comp that isn't affected by close proximity to either:

Traffic lights
Electricity pylons
Generators
Other wireless gadgets (e.g. heart rate monitors)
Random power surges from other street sources

I tried six or seven wireless comps. All were affected by some or all of the above, rendering them useless for reliable info when following audax routesheets.

I now use Aldi wired computers. Rock solidly reliable, huge battery life (i.e. 3 years), less weight and cost £4 each!

Depends whether you put style above function IMO.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Joe24 said:
My cable just runs down the front brake cable then goes off onto the fork, i wrapped it around the cable and it doesnt look too bad.

Same here, although I tape mine in place where it's not wrapped around the brake cable (I don't use zip ties, as a pal of mine reckons they can fatigue the wires).

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
Wireless, totally reliable IME, so much neater and easier than wired.

I am surprised your wireless one still works with the amount of times you hit the deck :biggrin:

I have 3 computers 2 wireless and one wired.
The cheapest wireless (raleigh echo) occasionally gets interference if the batteries a dying or if I pass through a long tunnel? like the innocent railway tunnel (500m approx) and stops recording. Other than that its been quite robust and reliable.
I've never had a problem with my cat eye micro wireless.
The wired one is fitted to my road bike (its a Lidl cheapy) and it fits the forks (carbon) ok. I don't think it would look as neat on my other bikes though and if its ever replaced it'll be for a wired one. IME I'd have to agree with 'on the road'
I think the advantages of the wireless outweighs the disadvantages in my opinion.

baggytrousers

I have a Cateye Micro wireless and used it every day for nearly 18mths now - very reliable never had any problems with interference or anything like that and I've just changed the original batteries - my only gripe would be that it's very difficult to see in the dark although it's got a backlight you have to press a tiny button on the back which is almost impossible with gloves but I imagine this is the same with wired.

bonj2

wired are better, more reliable and less stuff on your bike - fewer batteries and no transmitter. Although probably not that heavy. I twine the cable round the front brake cable, looks quite good like that. I did once try a specialized wireless one, and it worked fine just spinning the wheel by hand indoors, but it didn't work outside - can only assume it was too cold for it, that's no good then really.
I had a sigma sport BC1601L wired, but it stopped working and so I have sent it back to sigma and am awaiting the replacement which they have promised me, so I would still recommend it as if they are willing to replace it then it must be quite rare for it to just suddenly give up the ghost.

Top Bottom