Wireless computer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MichaelM

Guru
I've just knocked my bike over and broken the computer mount. I may as well take this chance to get a wireless computer with cadence display.

Any recommendations?

Will1985

Über Member
I have a Sigma BC1606L DTS+Cad which is pretty good - haven't had any interference from LEDs and the like at all. My only gripe about it is that the speed sensor is quite big and doesn't fit perfectly onto my Bianchi forks with a non-rounded front edge - occasionally it slips and starts banging the spokes. Not sure about the competition, but it also has a light for seeing info when it is dark...I like it!

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Very late response I know but I've just spotted this thread.

I used to have a (cheap) wireless from Tesco's which my lights interfered with.

So I recently bought the BC1606L wired + cad, I've had a similar problem with the front sensor moving slowly every time I do a kerb jump etc.. So what I did was took it off and removed the bit of foam padding off the back and put one of those double sided sticky pads on the back (a.k.a. motor factors) and then re banded it to my front fork. It's not moved since. BTW, I didn't get the "thick" sticky pads that you would use for an interior mirror, these are quite thin, about 1mm, actually bought them from A1 Motor stores.

Will1985

Über Member
Yes I do that to all of mine too Elmer - that little foam pad is useless on wired and wireless models. Unfortunately my Bianchi has a bladed front edge so it the wireless transmitter is never 100% secure and will sometimes move towards the spokes and get knocked a lot.

Will1985

Über Member
I have that already - I mean the transmitter unit which has the battery in...the forks are "bladed" with a rounded outside and a completely flat inside, so the leading edge isn't as round as you might expect on other forks - (my ITM visias on the fixed for example).

Elmer Fudd

I tell you what got me with mine though, is that you get 3' of cable for the front sensor that you have to wrap round everything. And then on the cadence meter if I'd have had another 4" of cable I could of run it up the seat post and under the crossbar. As it is I've had to run it up from the BB to steerer tube, it looks a mess with the cable ties so I've got to think of another way of doing it. Clear frame protection patches maybe ?

shooter560

Not having any real idea what I'm talking about but I've just looked at these computers and noted that Elmar said there is 3' of cable for the speed pickup, isn't this long enough to be used on the rear wheel and also wouldn't a rear stay be more suited for attaching the sensor without worries of odd shaped forks?

Wireless comps are a pain in the arse. Too many batteries, too much inter*wibble*ence. Install a wired one correctly and it will last forever.

shooter560

When I last was cycling wired comps were the only option, however at least from what I can tell those pro teams I've seen using comps are all using wireless, surely if they are good enough for them we have little to worry about?

If they are using wireless due to trying to save every last gram and the wire weights in at maybe 20g wouldn't a good fart recover that weight? :tongue:

Maybe being out of cycling so long has ruined my idea on things

Elmer Fudd

shooter560 said:
Not having any real idea what I'm talking about but I've just looked at these computers and noted that Elmar said there is 3' of cable for the speed pickup, isn't this long enough to be used on the rear wheel and also wouldn't a rear stay be more suited for attaching the sensor without worries of odd shaped forks?
That was my 1st thought but it's near enough the same length as the cadence wire so just not quite long enough.

But if it's pishing down again tomorrow I might have another looksie at it.

Elmer Fudd

shooter560 said:

Shooter560, 3' was probably a slight over exaggeration !!

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
shooter560 said:

The easiest way to deal with odd shaped forks is to wind the wire round the brake cable. The problem with wireless comps is that they suffer from interference from micro wave sources such as motion sensors on traffic lights, and can also interfere with some heart rate monitors.

Top Bottom