Wireless computers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Do they work?

And would anyone care to recommend a cheapish one?

All I require is the basic functions - speed, mileage, trip, total miles.

I would like to pick it up tomorrow, so somewhere such as Halfords would be a good bet.

For some reason, I can't get their site to load at present.

Thanks.

I have a cateye cordless 2 from 2000 or so. It's spent most of the intervening time in a shed, but I found all the bits (miracle), replaced the batteries and it works great still. So I would recommend cateyes. Suspect that Halfords has something cheaper, but as you noted their site is broken atm.

13 rider

Guru
Ive got the basic cateye wireless 9 function about £25 .does everything I need distance ,speed ,ave ,time,total milage etc . Had it fitted when I bought the bike but really simple magnet on spokes receiver cable tied to forks and unit to stem .just programming wheel size into unit and off you go

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Looks like a Cateye should do it.

I'm sure I've seen their stuff in bike shops, so it shouldn't be too hard to track one down.

andyfraser

Über Member
I had a cheap wireless computer (I think it was a Bell from Asda) and it wasn't great. Occasionally it would show the wrong data. This was a really cheap device though. The best thing I did was fork out for a Garmin Edge 200.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I had a wireless Sigma that didn't want to work when there were 4 AA batteries alongside powering a light. It was always fine when I was using AAA battery-powered lights. I've heard of people having problems from nearby powered lights with wireless computers. Worth checking if you run heavyish lights before you buy. Though, if you switch the light off you will have proof that you go faster in the dark....

runner

Guru
another + for the strada wireless. Just added a new one to my new equilibrium I love them relatively cheap and easy to set up ( a little more tricky when you change the battery and want to add in existing mileage)

S.Giles

I also had bad luck with a cheapo wireless computer. It seemed to be prone to interference, and would show crazy maximum and average speeds. Certain locations would set it off.

I forked out £2.08 for a wired replacement, and have no complaints (so far, at least).

It's hard to see the point of wireless bike computers. Granted, there's no wire, but at the expense of added complexity involving two batteries instead of one.

midlife

Guru
Cateye Strada :smile:. Just remember to put the sensor on the opposite way to the instructions ........ Avoids trashing the spokes if it gets bent in lol

Shaun

Katherine

Guru
I have a Cateye. Works well. Loses total mileage when you have to change the battery. You have to clear the speed, time and max speed information at the end of each ride anyway.

compo

Veteran
I have had no luck with wireless computers, albeit at the cheaper end of the market. My lights knock it haywire, as does the external battery powering my phone when running Endomondo. I fitted a cheapie, less than a fiver, wired unit from Aldi and all my troubles came to an end!

young Ed

Veteran
for cheap go cat eye, does the job good but on a budget.
although the best purchase i made cycling wise apart from my road bike was my garmin edge touring
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Some useful tips.

I'm not fussed about losing the total mileage reading at battery changeover time.

A quick Google suggests the Strada now comes with a cadence sensor, which involves another magnet on the bottom bracket.

Good for some users, but unwanted complication for me.

Hopefully one of the shops tomorrow will have a basic one.

I'm sure the points about wired computers are well made, but for the sake of a few extra pounds, I prefer the neater look of wireless.

An occasional reading glitch, if that's what happens, is neither here nor there.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cateye-stra...3594|pkw|cateye strada|pmt|e|&dest=1&curr=GBP

Top Bottom