Wireless computers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slioch

Guru
Cateye Micro Wireless for me too. Had mine for about 9 months now and it's worked flawlessly and hasn't had any interference from other devices. Haven't had to change the batteries yet, and it has a backlight function which is useful when riding at night.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I have a feeling that the wheel-magnet of a cheap computer just causes the 12v battery housed in the wireless sensor unit to be connected momentarily by a micro-switch, and thus creates an electromagnetic pulse each time the wheel turns that is picked-up by a coil in the computer. I could be wrong, but that would account for the need for a 12v battery, the tendency to be affected by outside interference, and the tiny 'click' sound that can be heard being emitted by the sensor as the magnet passes it. I'll dismantle my old wireless sensor when I get a chance to find out.

I imagine that >£30 buys something more sophisticated that works at the 2.4GHz you mention, and is therefore much more resistant to interference.

Something rings a bell (ho-ho) about 2.4Ghz cordless telephones being sold as superior to ordinary models.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My intention to buy a Catetye dissolved when the first shop I tried offered me a Cannondale branded computer for £15.

I know the lad in the shop, he told me the Cannondales are a regular seller and none have been returned.

The sensor position is critical, so if it does conk out the most likely cause will be the senosr's been knocked around the fork.

I can see what a couple of posters meant about the size of the sensor, plenty of scope for spoke strike.

This is the computer have, a fiver cheaper in the shop than online, so there's still some life in the high street.

https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/cannon...ter-ID_61913?gclid=CLTL_8SY4sMCFcfMtAod008AlQ

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I'd be interested to know if all wireless computers use the same method of wireless communication between the sensor and computer. If so, then wouldn't they all be equally prone to interference? Unfortunately I don't have enough knowledge of cycle computers to say.

Admittedly I'm talking about the extremely cheap end of the market, but I wouldn't describe the computer problems I experienced as being an 'occasional glitch'. It would go completely haywire every time I was in certain locations.
I've got two Cateye Strada Wireless, one on each bike. If you place the bikes side by side, about 18" apart, the radio signal is picked up by the neighbouring computer as well. I don't see that as a problem. I really don't like people getting that close to me when I'm riding.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
No, THIS is cheap (not wireless, though)! I couldn't find anyone willing to pay me to use their computer, so had to compromise and fork out two quid instead. It's performed flawlessly so far, in the week or so I've had it. Fingers crossed!
That really is cheap!

S.Giles

That really is cheap!
The wireless version is about £4, but has the functional limitations mentioned in the posts above. I had the wireless one, but it started getting seriously unreliable after about a year or so of use. I've now replaced it with this wired one, which I much prefer so far.

compo

Veteran
The wireless version is about £4, but has the functional limitations mentioned in the posts above. I had the wireless one, but it started getting seriously unreliable after about a year or so of use. I've now replaced it with this wired one, which I much prefer so far.

I have a wireless version in my bits and pieces box. When on a bike it would go haywire when influenced by any stray electrical fields. I regularly stood still at traffic lights doing 70 odd MPH. It gave me good averages but somewhat meaningless!

S.Giles

I have a wireless version in my bits and pieces box. When on a bike it would go haywire when influenced by any stray electrical fields. I regularly stood still at traffic lights doing 70 odd MPH. It gave me good averages but somewhat meaningless!
Yes, I once clocked 96MPH through the centre of Market Weighton. You couldn't do that with a Garmin!

sittingbull

Veteran
95mph.jpg

I think I was actually stood still at the time :whistle:

sittingbull

Veteran
It would occasionally show the odd rogue figure, the above was (I think) when talking to a traffic cop on a quad bike, so possibly various sources of interference. For some months I ran the Cateye comp and Garmin Edge 200 side by side and they were remarkably consistent (to within a few tenths of a mile over 100 miles), unless the Moon XP500 was on low, then the Cateye was useless.

Top Bottom