Wireless speedo range.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roseland triker

Cheese ..... It's all about the cheese
I want to run my wireless computer on the back.
It al works fine until I get in the seat then my body blocks the signal. Anyone else had this issue with line of sight for the sensor as if I have to run it on the front I'm going to have to be inventive on making a bracket etc as it will only work with my front mudguards fitted as they give me a mounting point.
Can't really run a wired sensor due to the bar set up.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Get a Garmin/Wahoo then.

fossyant

Does that have like a sim card ?
I don't want location tracker like a phone...

No. All use GPS and if you want a speed sensor, they have a really good range, like quite a few feet. They work without speed sensors too. I only have speed/cadence on my road bikes, and just the 'unit' on the MTB.

I've had occasions when not using a sensor, the 'unit' has beeped at me having sensed someone elses sensor as we pass.

OP
OP
Roseland triker

Roseland triker

No. All use GPS and if you want a speed sensor, they have a really good range, like quite a few feet. They work without speed sensors too. I only have speed/cadence on my road bikes, and just the 'unit' on the MTB.

I've had occasions when not using a sensor, the 'unit' has beeped at me having sensed someone elses sensor as we pass.
How does it log into GPS?

fossyant

How does it log into GPS?

It just finds satelites - doesn't send data back if that's what you are worried about. Usually finds at least three to get your position, then measures where you are. Pretty accurate within a few feet, then the software works out speed etc as you move. Basic ones cost about £50 and up. I use an old Garmin 200 for the commute (basic speedo), and a new Edge Explore for navigation

OP
OP
Roseland triker

Roseland triker

It just finds satelites - doesn't send data back if that's what you are worried about. Usually finds at least three to get your position, then measures where you are. Pretty accurate within a few feet, then the software works out speed etc as you move. Basic ones cost about £50 and up. I use an old Garmin 200 for the commute (basic speedo), and a new Edge Explore for navigation
I will look into this. How are they in woodland areas for getting a signal?
My old hand held GPS would struggle with canopy cover

fossyant

No thanks. I have a phone I can call for recovery on.

Not when you are in a ditch ! 😄

PS my Garmin Explore (as most newer GPS's) will establish a bluetooth connection with your smart phone, so yu get all sorts of extra data IF YOU WANT it to. I turn off the crash detection mode as I do a fair amount of MTB and I'd rather it didn't tell my wife I've fallen off again.

fossyant

I will look into this. How are they in woodland areas for getting a signal?
My old hand held GPS would struggle with canopy cover

Fine - I use the Explore on the MTB in dense woods - bear in mind this is a newish device and will connect to a smart phone (if you want). The additional sensors will ensure speed flutuations are minimised if you are keen on 100% accuracy (I only have this on the road bikes to minimise signal drop).

Sensors are quite cheap and you can use third party.

You culd always pck up a more basic/used Garmin or Wahoo quite cheap, but if you'd like the sensor option, then check the specs.

I've got three Garmins, and the Exploor is fantastic, but you don't need to use the aditional functionality if you don't connect it to the smart phone.

Eg, if my wife text's me, I can press the screen and tell it to send 'I'm out on my bike' as a response so she knows the smart phone is tucked away and I won't be replying. Very useful if you have family. It can also send tracking data for family if you allow it (via the smart phone) - e.g if on a long ride and people want to know where you are.

You have to give permission for all this - it won't do any of it without you setting it up.

The Explore is the cheapest of the high end Garmins (£150 to £200) as it cuts out the training and power options, so you just get recording, smart capabilities, and great mapping on a big screen. It's the one to get if you don't need power (£500 additional cost for fancy cranks or pedals).

OP
OP
Roseland triker

Roseland triker

Not when you are in a ditch ! 😄

PS my Garmin Explore (as most newer GPS's) will establish a bluetooth connection with your smart phone, so yu get all sorts of extra data IF YOU WANT it to. I turn off the crash detection mode as I do a fair amount of MTB and I'd rather it didn't tell my wife I've fallen off again.
Got rid of the smart phone and went back to my old Samsung push button phone.
It's waterproof and extremely tough.
I just don't like all this technology really

Top Bottom