Wiring a two way light switch.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Hall

My two way switch worked fine up until last year and now it only works if the upstairs one is in a certain position . As i wired them up some 15 years ago and i will have to sort it out again ive decided to ignore it .
IME that's down to one of the wires coming loose in the terminal on the switch.

subaqua

What’s the point
I would point out that any work carried out to domestic wiring should be signed off as safe. My youngest son has attended many houses with dodgy wiring, he is a fireman.
and define competent then.

and any work should be safe not just domestic .

only certain works are notifiable under part P and re connecting a switch isn't .

the diagram by @twentysix by twentyfive is pretty good but i haven't seen a six terminal JB for a long time. most are 4 terminal or the rose is used as the JB

this is better as uses most common way of wiring.

two-way-switching-wiring-diagram.jpg

subaqua

What’s the point
[QUOTE 4217568, member: 45"]You can replace like for like without the need for any inspection.[/QUOTE]

not quite true . you should always inspect whatever you do. it is part of the certification process ( yes even changing a switch should be certified on a minor works certificate) but the GenPub wouldn't do any minor works. .

it doen't need to be NOTIFIED to the LABC , nor does it need to be done by a member of an approved scheme.

there is an irony that a fireman notices dodgy electrics when a good chunk of dodgy work was done by moonlighting firemen in the 80s and 90s

Top Bottom