Wiring a two way light switch.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Can anybody advise on this? I've looked online but the diagrams are very complicated.

It is driving me mad that my two way light switch won't work properly. Depending on what position the switch is on upstairs determines whether or not you can switch it on from downstairs and vice versa.

A while ago (years actually) my hubby went to change the light switch cover downstairs but for what ever reason it didn't fit so he put the old one back on and it's never worked properly since.

It makes me so mad that I've booked a man in to come and fix it but the husband is having a little strop about it and says he promises me he'll do it, all I have to do is cancel the electrician and print him off a diagram.

So. Can anyone help please? He's got until Wednesday evening to sort it!

U

User33236

You will have a switch like this (below) at both upstairs and downstairs switch points.

switch_1gang_2way_triangle.png

Bring the live feed into the COM terminal on one switch e.g. downstairs. Connect a wire from L1 on the downstairs switch to L1 on the upstairs switch and another from L2 downstairs to L2 upstairs. Now take a wire from the COM terminal on the upstairs switch to the lamp holder. A neutral wire should run from the lamp holder back to the distribution (fuse) box to complete the circuit.

An example diagram below:-

2-way-switching-2-wire-control-schematic-diagram.jpg

snorri

Legendary Member
A while ago (years actually) my hubby went to change the light switch cover downstairs but for what ever reason it didn't fit so he put the old one back on and it's never worked properly since.
It makes me so mad that I've booked a man in to come and fix it but the husband is having a little strop about it and says he promises me he'll do it, all I have to do is cancel the electrician and print him off a diagram. He's got until Wednesday evening to sort it!

To assist you would go against my motto for a happy and peaceful life..................... "Never intervene in domestic disputes"

:biggrin:

screenman

Legendary Member
I would point out that any work carried out to domestic wiring should be signed off as safe. My youngest son has attended many houses with dodgy wiring, he is a fireman.

U

User33236

Re-read you OP and if I understand you correctly it worked ok till the switch was removed and refitted.

In that case have a look at the wires in the back on the upstairs switch and note what colours are in L1 and L2 positions. Replicate that on the downstairs switch and fit the remaining wire in COM.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I would point out that any work carried out to domestic wiring should be signed off as safe. My youngest son has attended many houses with dodgy wiring, he is a fireman.

How many of those were dodgilly wired by amateurs versus professionals?

U

User33236

How many of those were dodgilly wired by amateurs versus professionals?
+1

I moved into a new build some time back and found every single socket in the place had been incorrectly wired. They sent the site electrician round to correct the issue. When he arrived he insisted that they were wired correctly till I advised him of what I do as a job so he went away to double check. Came back 20 minutes later to admit he'd been wrong and correct them.

I went round after he left and found several terminals had not been screwed down!

screenman

Legendary Member
+1

I moved into a new build some time back and found every single socket in the place had been incorrectly wired. They sent the site electrician round to correct the issue. When he arrived he insisted that they were wired correctly till I advised him of what I do as a job so he went away to double check. Came back 20 minutes later to admit he'd been wrong and correct them.

I went round after he left and found several terminals had not been screwed down!

And like all amateurs would do it correctly.

U

User33236

And like all amateurs would do it correctly.
I am in no way saying that all amateurs would do it correctly; I am simply stating that professionals are not without fault either. I have two experiences in life when they have got it wrong, one of which was close to resulting in a fire had I not detected it in time.

screenman

Legendary Member
I am in no way saying that all amateurs would do it correctly; I am simply stating that professionals are not without fault either. I have two experiences in life when they have got it wrong, one of which was close to resulting in a fire had I not detected it in time.

I have just asked the lad and he says most looked well bodged, bent nails holding wires in place etc.

U

User33236

I have just asked the lad and he says most looked well bodged, bent nails holding wires in place etc.
The most serious incident I have experienced was Icwas living in a rented flat where cabling installed by a qualified electrician was under-rated for the fuse protecting those circuits. Thankfully the smell given off when insulation begins to melt is very distinctive and I was able to turn off power before a fire occurred.

Some bodged jobs may me more obvious but cutting costs by scrimping on the cabling can easily go unnoticed.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
My two way switch worked fine up until last year and now it only works if the upstairs one is in a certain position . As i wired them up some 15 years ago and i will have to sort it out again ive decided to ignore it .

Top Bottom