Wirral Way Users

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
They are planning on widening parts of the Wirral Way. Great. It needs it in places but as part of this widening, they are also planning in putting in the dreaded speedbumps.

http://www.visitwirral.com/dbimgs/coastalnewsletterWinter 2013.pdf

There is in the article an email for feedback of the proposals. I've written saying why I think speedbumps are a bad idea for all users, not just cyclists, which they are in my view.

It's basically the usual ill-thought out rubbish aimed at a minority which will affect the responsible user far more then the irresponsible.

Anyone with an interest should write in.

They are planning on widening parts of the Wirral Way. Great. It needs it in places but as part of this widening, they are also planning in putting in the dreaded speedbumps.

http://www.visitwirral.com/dbimgs/coastalnewsletterWinter 2013.pdf

There is in the article an email for feedback of the proposals. I've written saying why I think speedbumps are a bad idea for all users, not just cyclists, which they are in my view.

It's basically the usual ill-thought out rubbish aimed at a minority which will affect the responsible user far more then the irresponsible.

Anyone with an interest should write in.

Widening is good!
I don't think speed bumps can do any harm, any responsible cyclist will not be too inconvenienced by them at the pace that is appropriate for such a heavily walked (and dogged) path. Those who still strive after the (ex by now) strava segment and it's bragging rights are hardly to be pittied - way too many nutters riding on there. Being an ex-railway, the route is straight and has good sight lines, but nose down nutters don't look up enough, and random scum on BSO are a problem everywhere of course...

For background this 'way' has been a walking (and horse path) for many years, and only relatively recently became shared use, and the original users still resent this change - though this problem will reduce due to the age of the complainants...

It should be noted that cycling budget paid for the bulk of the surface upgrade - the walkers conveniently forget this!

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I disagree Neil and it's not cyclists I'm thinking of. I know several regular wheelchair users and quite a few people who don't have the mobility they did. Speed bumps will inconvenience them, will trip people, are unsightly and not in keeping and won't stop those who want to ride fast from riding fast. It's a damn stupid idea.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Hi

Is this a Sustrans idea or another party?

Anyway, having done part of the Wirral Way many a time I think the idea is ridiculous

Its the A540 that needs speed bumps, from Eureka Cafe / Heston

Oh, who removed the 'Take Care, Cyclist' signs on the A540?

Kev h

The article states the installation of speed bumps due to cyclists using the way as a time trail, having used this path as both cyclist and walker, i can understand the recomendation for speed humps if people are pushing it to their limits on there, it would be pretty scary a bike flying past you at great speed when your out with the family (kids/dogs).
i do not like speed humps at all but if people are doing this, then what else can they do if they are widening the path which will only encourage greater speeds.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

You think the speed bumps will stop people behaving like that. I don't. It's a stupid idea, I can't express it in any other way. They might address the issue with a more prominent code of conduct or more signs stressing it's shared use nature but speed bumps will just irritate everyone else and make no damn difference to those who don't care.

Besides, these tt's are no more than strava segments, there'll always be some lummox who sets one up, must the rest of us be punished for their idiocy.

dodgy

Same thing happened on NCN568 near Neston. The default reasoning for any cycling infrastructure on Wirral is to control us as if we were cars. When a new road is built, they don't put speed humps in unless there's some metrics to support it, cyclepaths? Sure, of course we'll need speed humps.

Remember a few days after NCN568 was opened? A guy from this forum was put in hospital after coming off at an unmarked speed hump (it was black tarmac against black tarmac).

Finally, you can fill out this survey https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/M29GR79

RedRider

Pulling through
I don't use Wirral Way but it does seem a stoopid idea and reminded me of this (words and pic from the LCC website)...
in_content.JPG

Council-owned Homes for Islington has put 14 bumps in Douglas Road South in Canonbury after residents complained about speeding cyclists. The work cost around £3000.
Canonbury ward councillor Barbara Smith said: "It's a short road with no other traffic but it proves dangerous for children wanting to play outside. I have also heard of an elderly gentleman being knocked down."
Serious access issues for disabled path users
LCC campaigns manager Tom Bogdanowicz said, "This looks like a case of using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. It is surprising that council experts did not intervene before these particular bumps were installed.
"The number of speed bumps in such a short space must make this quiet road among the least cycle and wheelchair friendly in Europe.
"The measure will have the greatest negative impact on local residents who cycle as well as older cyclists, people with disabilities and parents with push chairs.
For the more vulnerable members of the community the bumps are a serious obstacle and a safety issue."

Edit: it got worse....
"In 2009, Homes For Islington achieved national notoriety by putting speed humps down Islay Walk to stop speeding cyclists, the first in Britain and that reached the Daily Mail and other newspapers.
In the summer of 2010, Homes For Islington ripped out all the speed humps and replaced the with barriers and No Cycling signs."

gates_l-300x225.jpg
Some people just hate cyclists and they'll harm everyone to punish them.

Last edited:
Reminds I need to do this, forms part of a circular trail around the coast there doesn't it?

Anyway speed bumps are not the answer, what is needed is convincing the speeding cyclists they are doing no one any favours and more of this -

"Wirral’s Cycling Officer, Amanda Keenan, has recently been in contact with a website where individuals were posting these time trials for the Wirral Way and requested that they be removed as the activity was not one that we would encourage in one of Wirral’s Green Flag parks where the emphasis is on being safe and secure."

Good on you Amanda:thumbsup:

Kev h

Crackle, no i do not think they will stop people behaving this way, also, as i said, i do not like speed humps full stop. I agree there are better ways but as you pointed out, there are always idiot's about who balls it up for the majority.
Unfortunately, in this day and age, there is a hell of a big budget available for speed bumps and traffic calming on roads so i guess it is only a matter of time before the pc brigade turn it on cycle paths.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Crackle, no i do not think they will stop people behaving this way, also, as i said, i do not like speed humps full stop. I agree there are better ways but as you pointed out, there are always idiot's about who balls it up for the majority.
Unfortunately, in this day and age, there is a hell of a big budget available for speed bumps and traffic calming on roads so i guess it is only a matter of time before the pc brigade turn it on cycle paths.
If you don't like it write in. My mail emphasised that I wasn't just a cyclist, in fact I hardly ever cycle on it, but it pointed out that wheelchair users, infirm users and there are many on the WW, kids and families are all going to find these things a hazard and they are, whilst the minority who are intent on misbehaving will continue to do so. It's not a solution, it's another problem, one we need to speak out about.

Top Bottom