Wisdom teeth commiseration thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I had to have a lower wisdom tooth taken out last year. It to was moving Inwards and twisting and became infected. My dentist took it out for me. It took an hour for her to take it out, but didn't hurt a bit. It cost me £60. Well worth having it taken out. Having painful teeth is horrendous, and makes you feel, worse than just about anything. Good luck, hope you get it sorted soon.

The removal of the top tooth was so painless it was almost funny! My dentist is great

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I had one wisdom tooth removed when I was working abroad. (T'other 3 were removed courtesy of the NHS)

Put it this way... effective anaesthetic and painless dentistry had not quite reached Tiberius in 1976!! :ph34r:

Sara_H

Guru
I'm very lucky I think. Before my son was born, my wisdom teeth would try to erupt once a month when I was on my period (womens bodies move in mysterious ways). My dentist said they were impacted and would have to be surgically removed eventually. Didn't cause too much of a problem, just a bit of mild teething pain that paracetamol worked well on.
This stopped when I was pregnant and didn't happen again for a couple of years. In the last 8 years two wisdom teeth have erupted without much fuss. One is in an akward spot, in that I can't get to it with a toothbrush. Have to stick my finger in to clean it!

Bad luck to all of you with troublesome wisdom teeth. Get em pulled out I say!

G3CWI

Veteran
I had to have all four taken out as a compulsory measure for a job that I had once. My employer paid and it was incredibly painful. I looked like a hamster for weeks.

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I had to have all four taken out as a compulsory measure for a job that I had once. My employer paid and it was incredibly painful. I looked like a hamster for weeks.

Dear lord!

Saluki

World class procrastinator
This might explain a lot but I've never had wisdom teeth. They have never arrived so have never troubled me. My dentist once told me that my mother was 'in next week to have her wisdom teeth fitted'. He knew that I had an abject terror or dentist and was making me laugh.

Berties

Fast and careful!
I am pleased to say I have never had any wisdom teeth...I had X-rays to check ,and the answer was not going to get them...around the same time as this I had my tonsils out,I was 21 at the time and ,remember being on the ward and a chap being wheeled back in ,it took me 24 hours to work out i had sat next to him at school,he had his wisdom teeth taken out,i mean it look like he had be beaten with the ugly stick,though he was in no pain,he had a big round swollen face,so the mickey taking could then begin

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
The option I have is wait for Lordy knows how long to have the tooth removed under general anaesthetic or somehow figure out how to go private.

The pain though! Oh mercy! I've broken bones that hurt less!
I had all 4 of mine removed under local aneasthetic in one sitting. It was a traumatic few hours for me and the dentist!
At one point the dentish had his knee on my chest pulling the teeth out.

G3CWI

Veteran
I had all 4 of mine removed under local aneasthetic in one sitting. It was a traumatic few hours for me and the dentist!
At one point the dentish had his knee on my chest pulling the teeth out.

Mine were done with intravenous Valium. I was high as a kite. I too can recall it being far from straightforward as they had to saw part of my jaw away. The whole thing was very unpleasant. And the toast that they offered me in hospital afterwards did seem like a bad joke.

Have not thought about it for many years - and its making me feel quite ill now!

I had a quick Google and there are lots of photos of unhappy swollen folk online.

Last edited:
Top Bottom