Wish You Were Here Cover

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Nice crisp guitar intro, bit of a mix up at 1.24? A bit plodding and I'm afraid the vocalist doesn't quite have the range. Maybe he needs to relax?

Gary E

Veteran
Oh dear, had to turn it off after the singing started.
Up to that point I was quite impressed.
Is it me or is the guy tone deaf??
Sorry :blush:

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Rock died 33 years ago at the end of the punk era - most people just haven't realised it yet.

Thats total bollox mate...:laugh:

I had a good listen ...i'm used to hearing unsigned recordings, home recordings and stuff...so im not judging it against the pro produced stuff out there.

I liked the accoustic sound...recording an accoustic guitar isnt as easy and it might seem...mic positioning etc
It's a classic tune so most will instantly compare to the origional and as such you will often get negative feedback if it doesnt outshine the origional. Hence choice of song to cover is important...you need to be able to improove on the origional...tough call mostly.

Your singer can sing...he just needs to take a really good listen and re cut this vocal...perhaps line by line to avoid straining.

I have a rubbish voice, and I strain a lot...I dont give a **** what most say...because mostly they arnt actually able to do any better themselves. So Bravo for doing this and Bravo for putting it out there!! Have a thick skin and take on board others comments but do not let them stop you from pushing yourselves on to greater things...this is just the first rung on the ladder...keep climbing and remeber you are already way better than 99% of people out there who cant do what you already have done.:smile:

Gary E

Veteran
[quote="It's a classic tune so most will instantly compare to the origional "[/quote]

isn't that always going to be the case with a cover?

[quote="I dont give a **** what most say...because mostly they arnt actually able to do any better themselves." [/quote]

Of course I can't do better myself, I don't base my listening preferences on how I compare to the artist.

The guy asked for everyone's opinion and that's what he got. If he'd said please only say good stuff then I wouldn't have added my critique. Surely success in the music business depends on peoples opinions? If enough people like what your doing and you can make money from it great but if the majority of people give negative feedback then you have to decide whether you're doing it for the enjoyment or the money surely?

I didn't mean to give offence with my post, I was just giving my opinion (which I believe is what was asked for in the first place?)

Norm

Hmm... the guitar work is excellent, and I like the mix and production. I think the singer has talent, but it doesn't come over as well as the instruments and he does sound like he's straining too hard which has removed any emotion he could have put into it.

I'd agree that it doesn't take the track anywhere new, there's no ideas in it which weren't in the original and covering a classic like that without changing anything is always going to be a tough proposition.

I'd suggest covering something which would require them to be different, something without guitars like Keane or keyboard led like Cold play, or even a track originally by a female singer, where something new would have to be brought to the party.

OP
OP
A

Alex Newman

Regular
The singer normally sings bass and was above his range in the recording, we only had a week to record the song, as an induction to the music technology course. Thanks for the feedback :smile:

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Just a little tip ..u prob know anyway..if the singer has trouble on the higher end try having the band de tune a half step from A440hz ...pain in the arse for guitar set ups but worth a go..I didn't check to see if your recording is at concert pitch or already down.
A week is a long time for one track...what was it recorded on?

Top Bottom