With all this talk of doping....how long should they be banned for?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bubbles3

Ban for life. If someone has the opportunity to do a sport as a job. They should do it clean. If they get caught doping then they are cheating. They should be banned for life and sponsorship deals scrapped. Be made go get an ordinary job and learn to live in the real world.
Maybe if people knew they would loose everything, then they would think long and hard before cheating in the first place.

400bhp

Guru
It's a profession, so do what the professions do.

Oh, hang on.....

400bhp

Guru
There should probably be different severities of fines/bans dependant on the abuse caused (if there isn't already)

In fact, there probably is already this, but the UCI don't use it (probably some clause about bringing the sport into disrepute could mean a lifetime ban). Perhaps the severity should also be dependant upon the success of the athlete, e.g grand tour winners (podium finish) have longer bans than other events.

Not cycling related but I cannot stand Justin Gatlin - he is a real toerag.

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
There should probably be different severities of fines/bans dependant on the abuse caused (if there isn't already)

In fact, there probably is already this, but the UCI don't use it (probably some clause about bringing the sport into disrepute could mean a lifetime ban). Perhaps the severity should also be dependant upon the success of the athlete, e.g grand tour winners (podium finish) have longer bans than other events.

Not cycling related but I cannot stand Justin Gatlin - he is a real toerag.

dont think they could ban you for longer just because you were good

if they dope they dope dont they? what do they need to do t get a longer/shorter ban?

DEpends very much on the strength of the evidence and the independence of the decision.

Googll Latasha Jenkins' and Contador's hearings.. the evidence is hardly unequivocal

PaulB

Legendary Member
Those who advocate life would seem extremists in the case of people like Contador. There's also the possibility of something being genuinely taken for an URTI abroad that would be innocent in the sportsperson's home country but contains a banned ingredient in the product sold overseas. For those caught bang to rights, I'd say more than four years to say the least so it definitely rules out another Olympics or World Cup.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Those who advocate life would seem extremists in the case of people like Contador. There's also the possibility of something being genuinely taken for an URTI abroad that would be innocent in the sportsperson's home country but contains a banned ingredient in the product sold overseas. For those caught bang to rights, I'd say more than four years to say the least so it definitely rules out another Olympics or World Cup.

That describes the Scottish skier Alain Baxter at Salt Lake City. Banned and stripped of his bronze medal in the slalom due to using a vicks inhaler which in the UK is fine, but in the USA contains an optical isomer of a banned substance. The isomer in the inhaler was not performance enhancing, but because it tested positive in the same test he was banned.

From what I remember Benny Reich who came 4th (and was also Baxter's training partner) has refused to accept the bronze medal.

So should Alain have been banned for life?

Life bans are a comforting fairy story, much like capital punishment. They sound and feel great, but they don't work.

zizou

Veteran
2 years is about right for a first offence, although i'd also strip them of winnings in addition to that. When they return to competition then single them out for extra stringent testing - make public their biological passport data and give half of any prize money won post ban to anti doping.

Second offence then life ban including a ban on being involved in team management etc

Top Bottom