With Apologies to Merckx...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
...I've conspicuously disregarded his advice to ride "up grades" rather than "upgrades".

Here's what my SCR2.0 looks like now;

The Mavic Aksium's I bought from Motiroloboy now have the Conti GP4000s mounted, and are my "good" wheels (for weekends and dry weather) - the original, DA22 rims have 25C Conti Ultra Gators on them for commuting and poor weather. Ultegra SPD-SL pedals go on for the long ride on Sunday, and a Fiz:ik Arione replaced the Selle Royal Viper that came with the bike.

2623921461_48988318d6_o.jpg

And a slightly less formal shot of the bike from the ride on Sunday - did a very nice 30 miles from Haslington up to Sandbach to Astbury and back. On Bikely it all looks like the most dreadful mess, but it was very pleasant.

I was rather taken by this sign, which advises drivers which of the characters in Aesop they should emulate whilst drving through the village of Smallwood.

roadiewill

Nice looking bike. What mudguards are they ... link?

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
The guards are just the SKS Chromoplastic ones - they did have a little reflector thing on the back, but that got knocked off one day on the train.

Plax

Guru
Nice.
What's that big black thing on the top tube?
I wouldn't have thought to mount my Smart light on the rear stays - aren't you scared you'll kick it off?

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Roadiewill, SKS Mudguards (mine are probably the P35, I think). They're a bit of a pain to remove & refit, so I tend to only do so if I've a good stretch of dry weather forecast.

Plax said:
Nice.
What's that big black thing on the top tube?
It's a Topeak Tri-Bag. Really handy little thing for keeping small bits and bobs in easy reach. I tend to pop my phone in there on the Sunday ride - in the week it has a notebook and my train ticket, ID card for getting into work etc. Flapjacks fit nicely too :sad:
I wouldn't have thought to mount my Smart light on the rear stays - aren't you scared you'll kick it off?
Nah, the bike and my geometry make that unlikely :blush: I have a Torch 9x light (with integrated rear reflector) that goes on the seat post too. (I'd taken it off for this ride - the smart stayed on because it was threatening to belt it down - using a rear light in the rain seems to help drivers see me).

User259iroloboy said:
Looking good JTM! Nice wheels.:tongue:
Yes they are :smile: I've been amazed at the difference they've made to the feel of the bike - much much nicer than the DA22s that came on it.

Mortiroloboy

John the Monkey said:
Roadiewill, SKS Mudguards (mine are probably the P35, I think). They're a bit of a pain to remove & refit, so I tend to only do so if I've a good stretch of dry weather forecast.

It's a Topeak Tri-Bag. Really handy little thing for keeping small bits and bobs in easy reach. I tend to pop my phone in there on the Sunday ride - in the week it has a notebook and my train ticket, ID card for getting into work etc. Flapjacks fit nicely too :tongue:
Nah, the bike and my geometry make that unlikely :smile: I have a Torch 9x light (with integrated rear reflector) that goes on the seat post too. (I'd taken it off for this ride - the smart stayed on because it was threatening to belt it down - using a rear light in the rain seems to help drivers see me).

Yes they are :smile: I've been amazed at the difference they've made to the feel of the bike - much much nicer than the DA22s that came on it.

IMO, the single most impactive upgrade you can make to a bike is wheels, the R7's on my SCR4 are way better than the DA22's, and on a par with the Aksiums, apart from the really noisy freehub.:smile: Picture now added in gallery.

Top Bottom