wobbling cassette.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

compo

Veteran
If it's only a couple of mm then some do tend to wobble a bit. As long as it is not loose on the freehub and the lock ring is secure then don't worry about it.

I am going to have to disagree here, you need to determine whether its the actual hub body wobbling or the cassette is moving around on the hub body. The cassette should not be wobbling at all relative to the hub. If it is then lock ring needs tightening or its missing a spacer ie 10 spd cassette on a 11spd hub with no spacer. What cassette is it ? ie 105 etc. If the hub body is wobbling a tiny bit then on a cheap wheel that is quite normal, It wont on zip, dura ace etc hub.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
It is a Shimano 2300 8 speed 11/30 cassette on a Specialized Allez bought brand new in 2011.

Last edited:
It is a Shimano 2300 8 speed 11/30 cassette on a Specialized Allez boigh
Absolutely normal. Check a friend's bike, it will also wobble.

I take it you put the bike on a stand of sorts and spun up the crank and let go. You then proceeded to admire the spinning wheel, whizzing sounds and freewheel.....that wobbled as the wheel spun. Yes? Then it is normal.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Absolutely normal. Check a friend's bike, it will also wobble.

I take it you put the bike on a stand of sorts and spun up the crank and let go. You then proceeded to admire the spinning wheel, whizzing sounds and freewheel.....that wobbled as the wheel spun. Yes? Then it is normal.
Yes, that's exactly what I did.

yes screw ons tend to wobble, I just went out to the conservatory and checked 4 wheels that are there, normal 10 speeds ie non screw ons, none of them wobble at all. ( coles rollen elite, mavic kyserium, shimano ultegra, simano deore hub with mavic a120 rim)

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I am going to have to disagree here, you need to determine whether its the actual hub body wobbling or the cassette is moving around on the hub body. The cassette should not be wobbling at all relative to the hub. If it is then lock ring needs tightening or its missing a spacer ie 10 spd cassette on a 11spd hub with no spacer. What cassette is it ? ie 105 etc. If the hub body is wobbling a tiny bit then on a cheap wheel that is quite normal, It wont on zip, dura ace etc hub.
This... In retrospect I think it was my rear bearing not the block itself.

Top Bottom