Wobbly back wheel.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kell

Veteran
Just noticed this morning that there's a bit of play in the back wheel of my Brompton.

Anyone got any links or tips on how to deal with it?

Thanks in advance.

steve50

Disenchanted Member

Brommyboy

Über Member
Firstly, what sort of gearing do you have: single speed/double speed or 3-speed/6-speed hub gear? Secondly, is there too much play at the axle, or is the play elsewhere? It is rare to find play at the axle unless you have been dismantling it. However, if there is play there, then the cones may need adjusting, unless either the ball bearings or the axle has broken. If you suspect that it is just a cone adjustment, then only the left-hand cones must be adjusted, while the right-hand ones are left alone. There should, in any event, be a tiny amount of play here, as over-tight cones will do damage within. If the play is at the rim, then look for damage where the spokes enter the rim, or for loose spokes (easily found by playing a tune on them with a metal bar: low note, slack spoke; high note, firm or tight spoke).

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
It's a 6 speed and I'd say the movement is coming from the centre of the wheel.

The bike is only a couple of months old and I've not done anything mechanical to the back wheel. There's not much play, but there's definitely something wrong.

The last couple of weeks have felt like I've been dragging something behind me. If the wheel's not sitting right, would this be creating additional friction?

Last edited:

steve50

Disenchanted Member
If the wheel isn't sitting straight it could well be rubbing on the brakes which will give you that feeling of drag, it sounds as though something has gone wrong with the rear axle, either cones need adjustment or could even be broken axle if its so bad.

Top Bottom