Wobbly cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sayek1

I have just noticed that my very old mountain bike has a wobbly cassette/hub. There must be a good half-cm of play, on the outside of the wheel when I had it freewheeling on my workstand. Saying this I didnt notice the brakes rubbing, so maybe the play is not as big as I thought.

It looks like the cassette - once I took the wheel off the bike I was able to wobble the cassette very easily. The bike is about 15 years old so I am not sure what tools if any I would need.

Has anyone any ideas of the cause or how to fix it?

Thanks
K

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
If it is a cassette then have you checked the lock ring has not come loose?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
sayek1 said:
I have just noticed that my very old mountain bike has a wobbly cassette/hub. There must be a good half-cm of play, on the outside of the wheel when I had it freewheeling on my workstand.

So your rim is not true - needs truing by either the bike shop, or you if you know what your are doing....

If that's so, then nowt to do with the cassette (i.e. the spikey cogs bits and bobs in the centre of the wheel......)

If you can physically move the rim when the wheel is still, then that's a bearing/hub issue.....

Please elaborate a bit thanks.............:tongue:

OP
OP
S

sayek1

I think its a bearing/hub issue.

Having now watched a couple of tutorials on how to "play" with these things and invested in the latest Lidl tool kit I will try and give it a bit further investigation.

If that doesn't work there is always the LBS......

Thanks for your help guys.

Top Bottom