Wobbly rear wheel help.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aron6123

Hello,
Im fairly new to biking so im not down with all the terms and parts of bikes so ill just get down to the question, to see if anyone can help me.

My rear wheel on my mountain bike wobbles, i have had this problem previously inwhich i simply tightened up the nuts that (what i think) holds the hub in place,i try not to tighten them too tight as the wheel becomes stiff as it makes a revolution and it may be too tight on the bearings.
So is there any solutions to this such as using thread lock on these nuts or tightening them up more?

Thanks in advance

sittingbull

Veteran
I've had this problem on a front road wheel with (presumably the same as you) cup and cone bearings. Every 2-300 miles it would work loose again.

Make sure you're using proper cone wrenches and have a look at what Sheldon Brown has to say on the subject.

I very much doubt thread-lock would be successful as there's so much grease in the area. It took me ages the first time and was (and still is) very much trial and error. I faff around less now and with a little more experience they haven't shifted in 1000 or so miles :smile:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Hello,
Im fairly new to biking so im not down with all the terms and parts of bikes so ill just get down to the question, to see if anyone can help me.

My rear wheel on my mountain bike wobbles, i have had this problem previously inwhich i simply tightened up the nuts that (what i think) holds the hub in place,i try not to tighten them too tight as the wheel becomes stiff as it makes a revolution and it may be too tight on the bearings.
So is there any solutions to this such as using thread lock on these nuts or tightening them up more?

Thanks in advance
There are 2 nuts which lock against each other to prevent undoing as Sittingbull says google Sheldon brown at retro Raleighs.

Top Bottom