Woken up this morning....

Arch

Married to Night Train
Location
Salford, UK
... by four adolescents sitting on my windowsill, tapping at the window. Not bad, for the second floor.

Lucky they were pigeons...

Wierd though, pigeons NEVER sit on my windowsill. It was like being in The Birds. I sussed what it was, and peeked carefully round the curtain, to find myself eye-to-eye with one of them, which froze, looking at me. I'm not sure which of us was trying not to frighten the other one off... After a few second they all flew off, in a loop, to sit on my other window sill, so I peeked round that curtain and we did the whole staring at each other thing all over again, before they finally winged it...

I think maybe they mistook my window boxes for trees...
 

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
Location
Germany
You should have spoken to them in pigeon English.
 

ChrisKH

Veteran
Location
Essex
I was up a tree (at the top of a double ladder) trimming it at the weekend and I cut a small bough off and came face to face (4 inches) with a pigeon on its nest. Scared the bejesus out of me. Bit of luck I didn't step back.
 

bonj2

Guest
I thought this was going to be Arch singing the blues.

In our last house we had a pigeon take up residence on one of the back window ledges for about three nights. He disappeared as quickly as he had arrived.

That's nothing. I used to live in a house/flat type thing that basically had a little 'courtyard' right in the middle of it, but that was right in the middle of the building, and it was fully enclosed on all sides by parts of the building, except it wasn't really a courtyard as it only measured about 4 foot by 6 foot, but it extended right from the ground floor up to the top of the building (two storeys in total). It was permanently inhabited by a colony of 20 to 30 pigeons, so it was affectionately termed 'the pigeon pit of doom'.
 

bonj2

Guest
Can anyone explain why pigeons in town centres insist on flying DIRECTLY at your head as fast as they can and then veering off at the last minute? they're nutters.
 

Cycling Naturalist

Legendary Member
Location
Llangollen
bonj said:
Can anyone explain why pigeons in town centres insist on flying DIRECTLY at your head as fast as they can and then veering off at the last minute? they're nutters.
Pigeons home in on other pigeons by detecting the brain waves of a fellow pigeon in order to flock or find a common foodsource. Only at the last moment do they attempt to visually identify the fellow pigeon, and if they've made a mistake they veer away.
 

Big Bren

New Member
Location
Yorkshire
I had a resident pigeon not too many moons ago - I entered into a dialogue with it via the medium of an air rifle, and managed to persuade it that my eaves were not a bijou pigeon residence.

Flying rats!

Bren
 

mosschops2

New Member
Location
Nottingham
bonj said:
That's nothing. I used to live in a house/flat type thing that basically had a little 'courtyard' right in the middle of it, but that was right in the middle of the building, and it was fully enclosed on all sides by parts of the building, except it wasn't really a courtyard as it only measured about 4 foot by 6 foot, but it extended right from the ground floor up to the top of the building (two storeys in total). It was permanently inhabited by a colony of 20 to 30 pigeons, so it was affectionately termed 'the pigeon pit of doom'.
Did that help Mr Paul?? The colony and the affectionate term?? :biggrin:

So Arch - are you going to encourage them by feeding a whole loaf of bread to them every day (as a neighbour of mine once did), or follow the downsizer website and find a nice way of cooking them up??!!
 

Cycling Naturalist

Legendary Member
Location
Llangollen
To those who are talking of eating the pigeons, I would like to point out that they are feral pigeons, not wood pigeons and I've never heard of anyone eating feral pigeon.

(I assume that if Bear Grylls is seen eating one on a TV program, it will turn out to be grouse cooked by Gordon Ramsay.)
 

Cab

New Member
Location
Cambridge
Patrick Stevens said:
To those who are talking of eating the pigeons, I would like to point out that they are feral pigeons, not wood pigeons and I've never heard of anyone eating feral pigeon.

(I assume that if Bear Grylls is seen eating one on a TV program, it will turn out to be grouse cooked by Gordon Ramsay.)

Your feral pigeon is basically the same as the pigeons that people breed for racing. And a racing pigeon tastes ace,although he requires long, patient stewing. A feral pigeon, from a nice green leafy suburb, is good eating. Wouldn't touch a manky city centre one though.
 
Top Bottom