Woman convicted of manslaughter after swearing and gesturing at 77 year old cyclist.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
There is a general call among barristers for reform of manslaughter law, so this KC is merely adding her voice to that whispering campaign.

Several leading counsel - QCs at the time - told me the various different types of manslaughter are fiendishly difficult to understand, even for a lawyer.

Reform won't be top of the government's agenda, but I expect to see it in the next few years.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Sounds like a lot of legislation, written by lawyers to keep lawyers in work trying to understand what it means.

MIsh mash of statute law, ie written by lawyers, and common law. Where there are overlapping statutes it's mostly because of politicians who have to be seen to do something.

QV Windrush.

Milzy

Guru
Horrible this incident. She deserves a manslaughter charge but if only the victim had been on the road. :sad:

PK99

Legendary Member
Hope the old bat spends a bit more time inside to consider her actions. I'd say three years is rather lenient, she should consider herself lucky but I'm sure she never will.

Ben Rose, of Hickman & Rose solicitors, who are representing Grey, said: "Auriol Grey is an autistic, disabled person with impaired vision...

I find the lack of empathy displayed here quite shocking... just because the victim was a cyclist.

classic33

Leg End Member
Ben Rose, of Hickman & Rose solicitors, who are representing Grey, said: "Auriol Grey is an autistic, disabled person with impaired vision...

I find the lack of empathy displayed here quite shocking... just because the victim was a cyclist.
Her actions, swearing and hitting out at the other person, forcing them into the road is what gets me.

Whatever happens from this point on will not see the person killed back with their family. A person was killed by her actions, let's remember that much.
It could just have easily been another pedestrian.

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
And of course Grey showed a lot of empathy for her victim didn't she? After she'd caused her to fall into the road to her death she carried on to do her shopping. All because she'd annoyed her.
The trial judge said: "These actions are not explained by disability."

Last edited:

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I hope she gets longer, they can put extra time on if they think its too lenient. Theres no way on this earth she would have carried on with a big man like this. She just saw a small old woman and thought she would get away with it.
There's no excuse for doing this, so what if its not a designated cycle lane you don't do this. Plenty of room on that path for everyone she should have just moved over and got on with her day. It would have saved everyone.
Has it ever been established if its a shared cycle path?

Top Bottom