Woman cyclist killed in Victoria (tipper truck)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The poster who claimed to have witnessed the whole thing and blamed the cyclist has disappeared and has ignored police requests to contact them:

'SteveHunter' replied 'Noted, will contact you.'

Sadly SteveHunter has not contacted me, or any of my team investigating this sad incident.

I would urge 'Steve' to come forward and tell me exactly what you do - or do not - know.

You have posted potentially vital information here yet not come forward to speak to us. I am only interested in finding out the truth - no more, no less - and by not speaking to me I am potentially wasting valuable time trying to find you.

I note you have edited your posts removing some significant information and would like to know why.

Please speak to us and assist in order we can take a statement or rule you out of our enquiries.

I am forced to post this here as you have deactivated your personal messaging.

John Hartfree

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=94319&start=225

from the eyewitness report from another cyclist (CTC forum) : The lorry, which I was behind, was already manoeuvring when the cyclist passed me on the left and then tried to pass the lorry on the left hand side

It seems he wasn't an eyewitness at all.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
They're covering this on the C4 news right now - where do they find these people who talk on behalf of cyclists????
You could do it too. All you need to do is lead a protest disorganisation of 3000 or so people taking direct action, marching through the streets and lying in the road in central London a few times a year.

Come on, didn't you love the some-riders-are-as-bad-as-ISIS cab driver speaking against her? :laugh:

Tim Hall

Not sure if this has been covered already, but i understand that TFL are introducing a Safer Lorries Scheme from September 2015.

Highlights are:
Under the scheme, vehicles over 3.5 tonnes that are currently exempt will be required to:

• Be fitted with Class V and Class VI mirrors giving the driver a better view of cyclists and pedestrians around their vehicles
  • Be fitted with side guards to protect cyclists from being dragged under the wheels in the event of a collision
The scheme will operate across London, 24 hours a day, seven days a week, covering the same area as the Low Emission Zone (see a map of this area). It will come into force on 1 September 2015.

The scheme will be enforced by the Metropolitan Police Service, City of London Police and the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency.

• Drivers found to be in charge of a non-compliant vehicle may be issued with a £50 Fixed Penalty Notice
  • The offence also carries a potential fine of £1000 at Magistrate's court
  • The Traffic Commissioner, who has the power to modify or suspend operator licenses, will also be notified of companies operating vehicles in breach of the scheme
More details here

Milkfloat

An Peanut
As I said in the other thread about this, I hope those on here who prejudged the cyclist as being stupid and careless and therefore to blame will think carefully about what that says about them.

If people have been saying that - then it is inexcusable, however perhaps they were suggesting correct defensive riding techniques to lessen the likelihood of this happening rather than saying she got what she deserved?

mjr

If people have been saying that - then it is inexcusable, however perhaps they were suggesting correct defensive riding techniques to lessen the likelihood of this happening rather than saying she got what she deserved?
A lot was ambiguous but, in this context, making statements like "this unfortunate soul missed all the warning & continued on" or calling to " better educate cyclists on the dangers somehow" seemed clearly to be blaming the deceased.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
A lot was ambiguous but, in this context, making statements like "this unfortunate soul missed all the warning & continued on" or calling to " better educate cyclists on the dangers somehow" seemed clearly to be blaming the deceased.

Being a pragmatist I believe that better cycling education and awareness of danger is a brilliant thing to aim for - I certainly would recommend it to everyone. However, I don't think it is victim blaming after all the onus is on driver not to hit the cyclist as much as it is for the cyclist to adhere to the rules of the road.

mjr

as much as it is for the cyclist to adhere to the rules of the road
:eek: We don't know if the cyclist here failed to "adhere to the rules of the road" and even filtering on the left would still be adherent, so I feel that's another odd thing to say in the context.

Good cycling education is great but we're never going to cover 100%, there shouldn't be a death penalty for a cyclist even if someone screws up and this all seems rather off-topic here.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
:eek: We don't know if the cyclist here failed to "adhere to the rules of the road" and even filtering on the left would still be adherent, so I feel that's another odd thing to say in the context.

Good cycling education is great but we're never going to cover 100%, there shouldn't be a death penalty for a cyclist even if someone screws up and this all seems rather off-topic here.

As you well know it is not really been fully proven that filtering (especially at junctions) is legal http://www.cyclelaw.co.uk/overtaking-and-filtering-whilst-cycling
I was not trying to suggest that the cyclist was in fact breaking any law, but was trying to say that any cyclist obeying the law should expect to be safe. I 100% agree that a death penalty for a mistake on either side is not appropriate but I do think that the cyclist has a role to play in minimising the chance of that death. Also I agree that I have taken the conversation off topic.

mjr

I disagree, suggest cyclelaw has an interest in suggesting there's uncertainty that needs to be settled in court and leave this here so we can await further developments on the main topic.

As you well know it is not really been fully proven that filtering (especially at junctions) is legal http://www.cyclelaw.co.uk/overtaking-and-filtering-whilst-cycling
Try reading your own source - "Although it is legal to filter on a bicycle, it can be inferred from the motorcyclist cases that where cyclists are found to have been filtering in a way deemed to be ‘bad practice’ when a collision takes place, there is strong chance of a finding of contributory negligence on the part of the cyclist." (My bold.)

Top Bottom